Pillar wax for container...

This is a dumb question I'm sure, but I can't rationalize the mechanics behind it.

Can you use pillar wax or another high MP wax like hurricane blends for a container? Well okay I'm sure its technically possible. I guess a better question is, why is it a bad idea?

I understand not using container wax for things like my giant hurricanes because it isn't a very strong and the walls will heat up too easily, but why not the other way around?

This is a dumb question I'm sure, but I can't rationalize the mechanics behind it.

Can you use pillar wax or another high MP wax like hurricane blends for a container? Well okay I'm sure its technically possible. I guess a better question is, why is it a bad idea?

I understand not using container wax for things like my giant hurricanes because it isn't a very strong and the walls will heat up too easily, but why not the other way around?

Actually it's a good question. You're prone to think outside the box, which is great as long as you can get back in at will.

It all depends on the size of the container. The higher the MP, the smaller the container you can wick to melt across, for practical purposes. With the higher MP paraffins, you can't do much better than a votive cup. Also, as has been pointed out, straight paraffin (as opposed to the specialized pre-blends) doesn't adhere to container walls as well as many people would like. To optimize that for any wax you care to try, the idea is generally to pour it about 20 or 25 degrees above the melting point into a pre-warmed container, then cool it slowly.

As long as you keep the wicking limitations in mind, you really can try with various waxes. People have come to think of the specialized preblends as the only thing a right-headed person would pour into a container, but it's not necessarily true. Apart from votives though, it's unusual to use waxes that melt higher than the low 130s.