Questions from a newbie

So I am brand new to candle making.  I have poured 6 so far this week and just a few general questions / pointers if anyone would like to share.

I am using the double broiler method to melt the wax.  When cooling the wax before adding fragrance do you leave it over or pull it off the double broiler ?  Does it matter?

Same question then when waiting for pouring.

Any pointers for getting the wick directly in the center of the jar?  I am pouring 8oz jars.

Thanks all!

Hi, Jim.
There is a nifty gadget called the EZ Wick Setter that is handy for centering wicks. Personally, I have never been good at just eyeballing it.

As far as I know, there is no reason to cool your wax before adding your fragrance.  I add mine in hot, stir until blended, then pour.  Of course, your pour temp will be dependent on your wax.  If your wax needs to cool before pouring, remove it from the heat until it reaches the desired pour temp, give it another stir and pour.

8 hours ago, bfroberts said:

Hi, Jim.
There is a nifty gadget called the EZ Wick Setter that is handy for centering wicks. Personally, I have never been good at just eyeballing it.

As far as I know, there is no reason to cool your wax before adding your fragrance.  I add mine in hot, stir until blended, then pour.  Of course, your pour temp will be dependent on your wax.  If your wax needs to cool before pouring, remove it from the heat until it reaches the desired pour temp, give it another stir and pour.

Thanks!  I will check that product out! Appreciate the help!

Hi Jim, take your pot out of the double boiler for the cooling process to start. Add FO immediately like @bfroberts said. No need to wait. I’ve been able to eyeball setting wicks by putting caution labels on bottom first (I use glass so it gives me middle) and eyeball setting the wick by using the straw method (wick thru the straw then center and stick).