Another Rebatch Candidate-Damn Fairies!

eugenia

I think I picked a good day to get up the crack of dawn and go the beach. :) Soaped a new recipe yesterday with yet another new FO, Vanilla of Pearl. Did my first blind swirl. 2 hours in the oven at 175. Got a new scale and know that my measurements were right on. Here's the recipe:

10% coconut 4 oz

24% pko 10 oz

5% babassu 2 oz

5% castor 2 oz

8% shea 3.2 oz

17% rbo 6.8 oz

30% soybean 12 oz

Water/coconut milk 15.2 oz, lye 5.59 oz

7% superfat, no water discount.

Uncut:

vanillaofpearl.jpg

Here it is cut; it's super hard and crumbly. I know this batch was NOT lye heavy. Karol and Mystical, 'fraid I need a little more time LOL! I'm not sure what went wrong. Can't decide if I should rebatch as is, or add something. Any input is appreciated.

e

VOPcut.jpg

Aw, bummer, it looks so wonderful and creamy on the outside.

Hmmm...

You've got 39% of coconut/pko/babassu, all coconut like/very hard oils. Maybe that with the milk (even if it's a better behaved one) and a vanilla and the oven just overloaded the sap process so it was uneven? Haven't a clue... but I never trust vanilla FOs.

Gosh e, the soap looks so good except for the crumbles. The blind swirls came out perfect. I have had a few crumbly batches, and if you can, why don't you try to clean up and salvage what bars you can? After they are beveled and shined up a bit they will probably look awesome. Then you can just rebatch the crumbs and the ones you can't salvage.

Have to ask you a question....do you always do CPHP? I just find that my soaps come out better with just plain CP. Sometimes the extra heat does weird things to my soap. Just wondering.

Have to ask you a question....do you always do CPHP? I just find that my soaps come out better with just plain CP. Sometimes the extra heat does weird things to my soap. Just wondering.

I started with crockpot HP. Then went to CPOP. Just too impatient for regular CP I guess, although I have successfully CP's. Weird thing is, my HP and rebatches have killer lather. Never quite figured that one out.

e

The only time I had crumbly soap was when it didn't gel, so I don't know what happened there. Too bad 'cause you were getting a nice looking reverse swirl. Ya know, Eugenia, I don't think you buy much more time with cpop than you do with a water discount. JMHO, but you might want to try regular cp. I really think you'll like the texture, too.

Edited because I see that you've already done cp. Ah well, just thought I'd suggest it, lol.

Janis, I've had problems with my batches tracing too fast, going to cheesecake. Too chicken to discount water. . I use the full Sooz amount, which is more conservative than MMS.

e

The only time I had crumbly soap was when it didn't gel, so I don't know what happened there. Too bad 'cause you were getting a nice looking reverse swirl. Ya know, Eugenia, I don't think you buy much more time with cpop than you do with a water discount. JMHO, but you might want to try regular cp. I really think you'll like the texture, too.

Edited because I see that you've already done cp. Ah well, just thought I'd suggest it, lol.

OK. No one puked in my garbage; it's just soap LOL. I decided to toss if after several shots in the micro. My wooden spoon snapped in half trying to stir. I considered that a sign. Just upped my tossed batches rate to three. :rolleyes: Tomorrow is another soaping day. :)

e

Eugenia,

Do you think your rebatch might have done better if you had put it in the crockpot and slowly melted it with some liquid? I've used this method and it has worked everytime for me - but I admit I've only done it a few times so that is why I am wondering if the method of rebatch has anything to do with it?

Meridith, I've doen crockpot many times. Tried microwave for the first time the other day and it went very well. This batch was seriously diseased. Think I'll blame the coconut milk. After reheating, it smelled foul. I'll soap it again tonight when I get home using water. :)

e

Eugenia,

Do you think your rebatch might have done better if you had put it in the crockpot and slowly melted it with some liquid? I've used this method and it has worked everytime for me - but I admit I've only done it a few times so that is why I am wondering if the method of rebatch has anything to do with it?