Multiple Suppliers (& Shipping) vs. Local

Relatively new to candle making and just moved from Alabama to Texas - had been getting supplies from Community Candle in Birmingham and CandleScience in NC when I was visiting family (picking up from each to avoid shipping costs)

Now I'm trying to figure out whether I'm better off sticking with what I knew from my original suppliers and paying for the shipping or switching to a local supplier (Lonestar, Southwest, and AAA Candle Supply are all within a 30 min drive)? Or alternatively, do I try to purchase heavy/bulky items like jars and wax locally and keep my favorite FO from my original suppliers? 

So, here are my questions: (1) How does everyone save on (or justify!) shipping costs and (2) How many total suppliers do you have for various items to minimize redundant shipping costs and maximize quality supplies?

If you are a 30 minute drive to 3 great suppliers I would take advantage of that. You can save a buttload buy driving there to get your wax and supplies.

I use several suppliers for different reasons. "Local" suppliers for me are in PA about a 4 hour drive but I still drive there about 1-2 times a year and that saves me money. I use several suppliers that have good shipping rates for my location and a few across the country I use simply because what they have is the best of what I need. So I do shop for savings whenever I can but sometimes you just gotta buy what you need when you need it.

• Like 2