FO Measuring

So I have little 10ml bottles of FO. We've tried adding between 5 drops and 11. The candles smell great when you walk past them and have a good cold-throw but when lit there's barely any scent there at all and it doesn't linger in the room like I want it to. 

I know I need to use 1 oz of FO for every pound of wax and it's done on weight not volume. 

So if I'm using 1lb of wax (16oz) and I'm going to add 6% FO I calculate it as 16x6% (or .06) and I'll get .96 which I can round up to 1oz of FO. Right? 

What I'm really struggling with is how to measure the FO. I've just dug out my electric weighing scales. I feel silly for asking but can I use those? Does it matter if it's lb:oz or fl'oz? Also, little 10ml bottles isn't enough, right? Or am I calculating wrong?

Wax I'm using: Ecosoya CB-135

FO: Mystic Moments Fragrance Oil  

I would use one oz per pound.   Something I will advise is that the Ecosoya products have been discontinued and are being reformulated for those of us here in the US.  

You're new to candlemaking and want to encourage you to continue.  However, in reading your other posts, I'd also like to encourage you to slow down.  Talking about your new business and a finished logo when you're struggling to determine how to properly measure  FO is disconcerting.   Because candles involve an active flame, there is real potential for loss of life and property if they are improperly made and/or not thoroughly tested.  

6 minutes ago, KrisS said:

I would use one oz per pound.   Something I will advise is that the Ecosoya products have been discontinued and are being reformulated for those of us here in the US.  

You're new to candlemaking and want to encourage you to continue.  However, in reading your other posts, I'd also like to encourage you to slow down.  Talking about your new business and a finished logo when you're struggling to determine how to properly measure  FO is disconcerting.   Because candles involve an active flame, there is real potential for loss of life and property if they are improperly made and/or not thoroughly tested.  

I know I'm nowhere near ready for selling them and have tested each one I've made so far. I think I'll just give it up as a bad job. Thanks. 

1 minute ago, MissIllumineCandles said:

I know I'm nowhere near ready for selling them and have tested each one I've made so far. I think I'll just give it up as a bad job. Thanks. 

Why on earth would you give it up when you haven't even started?   :)   We all start somewhere.   However, like everything else, it takes time to do it well.   

2 minutes ago, KrisS said:

Why on earth would you give it up when you haven't even started?   :)   We all start somewhere.   However, like everything else, it takes time to do it well.   

I'm burning through resources, quite literally, I'm not sure what I'm doing or how to measure my FO or even if I have enough of it. I'm unemployed with anxiety and depression and just wanted to start a little something but like you said. It takes time. And I don't feel like I have that at the moment. Nor do I ever feel like this is something I'll ever be able to do well. 

9 minutes ago, MissIllumineCandles said:

I'm burning through resources, quite literally, I'm not sure what I'm doing or how to measure my FO or even if I have enough of it. I'm unemployed with anxiety and depression and just wanted to start a little something but like you said. It takes time. And I don't feel like I have that at the moment. Nor do I ever feel like this is something I'll ever be able to do well. 

Great big virtual hugs for you.   It's going to be okay.   You may not see it right now, but it will.   The self-doubt is just your brain chemistry playing tricks on you.  

You're 100% capable of this, but you may need to adjust temporarily to move forward.   Corncobs (from the pet store--bedding section), mixed with FO, and in a muslin bag or in a kraft envelope with label makes a car air freshener--you can Google the amounts needed.  Start with wax melts instead of candles--while they're still a challenge finding a wax and FO combination that works, it's less troublesome than wicking a finicky wax.   

Your labels are beautiful.   It would really be a shame to stop before putting them to use..

Edited by KrisS
  • Like 1