Hobby or home candle making

Many of the members here are professionals and sell their candles and other products. But there also seem to be a good number of hobbyists who just are having fun doing it.

If candle making is a hobby for you as it is for me, what are your goals? What kind of candles do you make, and out of what, and why? Do you make a variety of candles, or have you found a size/formula that works for your uses. Do you work out of your kitchen, or in a separate space?  Please share what you do, and what you do with all you make. Inquiring minds want to know.

I really enjoy making candles and, on and off, have dabbled for many years. To the horror of the professionals, I use mostly old, recycled candles/wax from yard sales or from friends. I don't really care if I can repeat my results, as would be necessary if selling them. I just want candles look nice, smell good, and that I can burn many of, ...and this works for me. In fact, I enjoy working with wax that can be challenging at times. I do prefer to keep colors separate, but mostly I mix lots of wax together.  Sometimes I do buy wax, both paraffin and soy, but not that often. I do use mostly paraffin, but I just love the look of candles with lots of soy in them. I'd love to try some rapeseed and palm wax too, but that likely wont happen.

Over time I have made many kinds of candles, including long tapers. That was fun, and they burned great. For the most part, other than votives, the size I most use is in the range of about 3 inches tall and wide. Container candles are fun to make, but I don't much like burning them because they are more of a challenge for my gorilla methods, and I don't really like a constantly flickering flame.

Right now, I'm focusing on making votive candles. They are fast, easy, and mixed waxes work well. They burn nicely. As a bonus, they don't last a long time. That way I get to try all the various FOs and new mixtures from all those little bottles. And votives are easy to give away. I like to burn them in those little glass oyster votive/tea light containers. The look is very appealing to me.

That is what I do... If you are willing, please share what you do as a hobby candle maker too.

• Like 1

For now, I would consider myself a hobbyist. If I were able to create some nice, consistent candles I would love to start a business, but I've only been doing this about 8 months. 

I started making candles after my daughter was born. My husband actually suggested it because he knows I love candles and I felt like I needed a new hobby and couldn't get back to working out just yet. Mainly, I enjoy making things with my hands, and candles qualify so I don't have real goals other than to enjoy myself and dream about starting a business. 

I have been doing container candles so far, and loving that (even though wicking is SO CHALLENGING). A friend asked if I could make her some tarts, which I've never done. I might try that if I get around to doing the research and figuring out what supplies I'd need. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jbradshaw said:

For now, I would consider myself a hobbyist. If I were able to create some nice, consistent candles I would love to start a business, but I've only been doing this about 8 months. 

I started making candles after my daughter was born. My husband actually suggested it because he knows I love candles and I felt like I needed a new hobby and couldn't get back to working out just yet. Mainly, I enjoy making things with my hands, and candles qualify so I don't have real goals other than to enjoy myself and dream about starting a business. 

I have been doing container candles so far, and loving that (even though wicking is SO CHALLENGING). A friend asked if I could make her some tarts, which I've never done. I might try that if I get around to doing the research and figuring out what supplies I'd need. 

I started tarts a few months back and they are easy and fun ! I prefer the ambience of candles, so they will always be my fave to make, but tarts have a lot of advantages.

I buy Jell-O shot cups for mine ( the little plastic ones with lids ) and they couldn't be easier. I use the ecosoya blend and side from a very occasional cracked top, they come out perfect and beautiful. 

What I love about it is, it is a great way to test scent blends and there is no frustrating wicking issues, lol. As a hobbyist myself, I enjoy making tarts as a way to take a break from wicking when I get too irritated with it. 

So yeah, you should try tarts, they are soooo easy and a lot of fun :)

• Like 2