Essential oils and rapeseed wax

I have decided to go with rapeseed wax and I have been looking for sufficient answers regarding how much essential oils I would need per ml. 

I know that it can vary so Im wondering if anyone here has any experience with this wax and essential oils?

I don;'t know anything about rapeseed (canola) wax, but here is an old thread on the subject that might be helpful. It is apparently used more in the UK/Europe than the US. Maybe with the cloud over palm wax, it might become more popular here.

Edited by Incendia

I had never heard of it before CraftWerk's post this morning. It is apparently harder than soy, and has a higher melting point. If they can hydrogenate soy oil and sell it as wax, why not canola/rapeseed? Or peanut or cottonseed oil?

Edited by Incendia

1 hour ago, Incendia said:

I had never heard of it before CraftWerk's post this morning. It is apparently harder than soy, and has a higher melting point. If they can hydrogenate soy oil and sell it as wax, why not canola/rapeseed? Or peanut or cottonseed oil?

If you want to send yourself down a rabbit hole of "Why didn't I know about...", search some of the the European and Australian supplier sites.   There's a wide variety of products available there that isn't here.

This conversation with an old manufacturer goes back a decade, so I apologize in advance for any inaccuracy.   IIRC, the initial soybean wax was originally created within the food industry as an alternative to butter/margarine in frosting.  Paraffin is byproduct of the oil industry.   The coconut wax that's becoming more widely available is one of the byproducts of the food industry--coconut oil is separated into two components whose details I don't recall.

:embarassed2:  I geek out on this stuff.   Not completely relevant, but my best guess on peanut, cottonseed, etc. is that they've found a better way to utilize any leftovers.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 12.2.2017 at 5:12 PM, KrisS said:

I was speaking with a smaller wax manufacturer a few weeks ago and mentioned rapeseed.   He wasn't familiar with it at all.    I'd love to try it.

On 12.2.2017 at 10:46 PM, Incendia said:

It is a wax that is widely used over here in Europa. There is a large production of rapeseed oil here, so it is the most common wax to find when it comes to candle making. It is certainly possible to max wax out of any oil. I actually came across a Swedish retailer selling rose wax...