FRUSTRATED !!

Please, please please can someone give me some advice.  I feel like its 1 step forward and then 10 backwards. 

I currently blend 80/20 4630 & GW464.  I'm using a straight edged jar with a width of 3.5 inches and depth of 4.5 inches.  I am double wicking.  

So my frustration at the moment is with the wicks.  I originally started using CDN wicks and then read that HTP are the best wicks to use with the IGI wax.  So I then started testing with HTP, I love the way the HTP burn, no mushrooming, or sooting, but the fragrance throw is virtually non existant.  Where as when I put a CDN wick in the throw is amazing, but then as they burn down the jars do get hot and I find they soot much more the further down the candle they burn and they also mushroom.  

I can tell people to trim the wicks, but if they don't the jars become messy and sooted, which isn't a good look.  

Is there anyway I can get the HTP to throw better, is it that they don't burn hot enough??

I'm so frustrated, I've spent thousands of $$$$ on testing over the last 12 months, and I'm working full time as I am not making any money from the candles yet - sorry I lied, I have sold a couple to the girls at work and a couple of packs of melts at a market stall, but I haven't even covered my stall cost yet and have others booked in.  I just feel that I'm throwing money after money after money into this and don't seem to be getting anywhere.  The couple of markets I've tried were no good so lost more money there, and I need to pay for the website to help with online presence, but just don't have any more money anywhere.  My credit card is almost maxed and so need to start selling to be able to get this off the ground and put back into other areas that need completing. 

I'm just going around and around in circles.  Is it I'm just trying to achieve the perfect burn and scent throw and this just doesn't happen??  I have tested hundreds of fragrances and not used them as I don't get the hot throw as I'm looking for.  We now have 7 fragrances that throw well, but wicks are hit and miss.  Do some of you use HTP and CDN in your candles and just switch between the two kinds depending on how they work, or do you tend to stick to one type?

Also, when I try to get a throw using the medium sized jars I cannot get any throw using the HTP wicks - Arrrrggghhhh.  

Sorry to rant on to you all, but I feel like I am losing an endless battle, but have come this far into it, I cannot and will not give up.  But I just don't know how to move on with no funds left!!!!

THank you all for listening (or reading) - but please any advice would be amazing!!!!

x

• Like 1

What size HTP wicks are you using? We use only HTP wicks in our jars and have for 15-20 years. Never an issue with throw. We also only use IGI wax. I believe that we use HTP 83 for our 3.5" jars (double wicked). Not sure. We don't pour jar candles where I am but at another whse. I will check to see. Wick/wax/jar diameter/shape is a delicate balance to get a good HT.    HTH

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Natasha2106 said:

Please, please please can someone give me some advice.  I feel like its 1 step forward and then 10 backwards. 

I currently blend 80/20 4630 & GW464.  I'm using a straight edged jar with a width of 3.5 inches and depth of 4.5 inches.  I am double wicking.  

So my frustration at the moment is with the wicks.  I originally started using CDN wicks and then read that HTP are the best wicks to use with the IGI wax.  So I then started testing with HTP, I love the way the HTP burn, no mushrooming, or sooting, but the fragrance throw is virtually non existant.  Where as when I put a CDN wick in the throw is amazing, but then as they burn down the jars do get hot and I find they soot much more the further down the candle they burn and they also mushroom.  

I can tell people to trim the wicks, but if they don't the jars become messy and sooted, which isn't a good look.  

Is there anyway I can get the HTP to throw better, is it that they don't burn hot enough??

I'm so frustrated, I've spent thousands of $$$$ on testing over the last 12 months, and I'm working full time as I am not making any money from the candles yet - sorry I lied, I have sold a couple to the girls at work and a couple of packs of melts at a market stall, but I haven't even covered my stall cost yet and have others booked in.  I just feel that I'm throwing money after money after money into this and don't seem to be getting anywhere.  The couple of markets I've tried were no good so lost more money there, and I need to pay for the website to help with online presence, but just don't have any more money anywhere.  My credit card is almost maxed and so need to start selling to be able to get this off the ground and put back into other areas that need completing. 

I'm just going around and around in circles.  Is it I'm just trying to achieve the perfect burn and scent throw and this just doesn't happen??  I have tested hundreds of fragrances and not used them as I don't get the hot throw as I'm looking for.  We now have 7 fragrances that throw well, but wicks are hit and miss.  Do some of you use HTP and CDN in your candles and just switch between the two kinds depending on how they work, or do you tend to stick to one type?

Also, when I try to get a throw using the medium sized jars I cannot get any throw using the HTP wicks - Arrrrggghhhh.  

Sorry to rant on to you all, but I feel like I am losing an endless battle, but have come this far into it, I cannot and will not give up.  But I just don't know how to move on with no funds left!!!!

THank you all for listening (or reading) - but please any advice would be amazing!!!!

x

Ive been there - still am, really. Like you, I've been testing and testing and testing for about a year and haven't gotten candles I'm proud to sell yet. Melts have been better/easier for me and I've gotten those down, but candles are a whole different monster. I use a 464/6006 blend and tested several wicks in my travel tins, but HTP was the steadiest flame with the best throw for me. They do mushroom a bit in my tins regardless of being under or over wicked, but I don't notice soot, even when I use the lid to extinguish the flame. 

I don't have advice about your specific jar, but just wanted to say good luck. I think we're our own worst critics. I get frustrated w my lack of progress, but then I remember what my first candles were like and I realize I've made a TON of progress. I'm sure it's the same for you. 

• Like 1