Power Burn?

After much testing (and a lot of help from this board), I finally have wicking down for a 3" pillar. I've read about power burning to test the candle also, but I'm not sure what to look for. Do you trim the wick at all, and is it just to make sure that the candle is safe if someone leaves it burning for hours and hours?

Thanks

Sharon

i usually don't trim when i do a power burn. i just light it up and let it go! I only trim if the melt pool is getting really big and/or it is about to burn a hole in the side/overflow. i don't think i have ever done this on a first burn. i do it to see if, worst case someone left it burning for way too long, what it would do. some have overflowed, but many don't.

After much testing (and a lot of help from this board), I finally have wicking down for a 3" pillar. I've read about power burning to test the candle also, but I'm not sure what to look for. Do you trim the wick at all, and is it just to make sure that the candle is safe if someone leaves it burning for hours and hours?

Thanks

Sharon

You can expect the flame will end up bigger that you'd want because the wick needs a trim, but otherwise it should burn down and consume itself without blowing out and spilling wax.

And of course it shouldn't explode.

I've mentioned this before, but I put mine in a large Pyrex bowl, then sit it inside an old stock pot, for doing this. I'll let them burn for several hours, trim the wick whenever, and just generally ignore it.

I want to see what's gonna happen if someone goes to wrok and leaves the thing burning for 10 hours, unatended. I know they will, because I have, and I'm *supposed* to know better.