Soapsheet V4.xx

WanderlustSoaps

Ok Folks,

I really like a couple of the online versions of the soap calculators but I have always preferred to have local versions on my computer, and I love the idea of having the ability to save recipes locally to my hard drive.  Because of this I went in search for a free downloadable calculator which of course brought me to the three versions of the Soapsheet originally created by Glenn Murray and hosted on Millersoap.com (additional versions / updates were found on soulgazersundries.com).  I really like the idea of an excel spreadsheet for this as this is how I do cooking recipes and ejuice recipes, however I did notice that this wonderful tool had not been updated since 2005, I went to work.  I have mild OCD and like nice clean lines and even tables so that was first things I changed.  After this I did some slight modifications to the formulas so that I could add options like autofill and a single column for all ingredients.  Next I added a ton of data that was sourced throughout the web, from a HUGE list of oils to all the fatty acid values, properties and things of this nature.  The list of changes goes on and on but I dont want this to be too large a post.  With the changes made I have emailed this to a few people and thought it was good to go until I started finding minor issues that bugged me.  Anyway I have spent a while longer working on this and have gotten some great feedback, so now I feel like I need to release it to the masses for additional testing.  This is not the final version (not quite yet, but soon), once I am sure all of the bugs are worked out I still need to go back in and adjust the FAQ and put the original about page back in.  Please try it out, compare it to the calculator you already use, see what you would change and what you think should / could be added, then give me some feedback, let me know and Ill make some revisions and we can get a finalized product out there.  Note there are tabs at the bottom and each one does a different thing, the instructions will explain each.

Thank You to everyone

Ken

Download HERE!

Soapsheet.jpg

Edited by WanderlustSoaps

A new update is out, seems there was a small issue with a formula, the updated version can be downloaded from the same link posted above.  If you are testing this, please download and update to the most recent version.  Thank you again to everyone that is testing this.

Edited by WanderlustSoaps
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been testing this for about a couple weeks or so now, and it seems to be a good alternative to soapcalc. The only problems I've encountered have all been user error, such as breaking formulas, etc., so I would give a disclaimer that if you are unfamiliar with excel formulas are easy to break, and not so easy to fix. 

(I'd consider myself on the low side of expert in excel, and I still broke a few formulas but because I understood how/why they broke, they were relatively easy for me to fix) 

• Like 2

This is awesome JC, thank you so much for testing this for me.  Question about the breaking of the formulas, when you opened the spreadsheet were the sheets protected?  There should have been locks on all the cells that have formulas and the page protected so that the formulas dont get broken.  If this were not the case please let me know.  I am working on a few other small things that one of the other testers brought to my attention and then I plan on releasing the final version in the next week or so.

Ken

• Like 1

Honestly I don't remember, but I was in there poking around at the formulas (I love excel formulas) to figure out what you used on some of them, and I'm sure that's what broke them. I might have unwittingly unprotected them as well. I'm a button pusher, and a lot of times, I will break things on purpose just to see if I can fix them. LOL 

• Like 1