Re-melt to upwick help

YAMS

Three hours of burn text to realize that I under wicked two candles.  How do you guys save the candle? Do you tenet and remove the wick and replace with a larger wick?  What is the best way to do this? My wicks are attached to the bottom of the jar with wax itself. Basically I want to use the same candle with a larger wick instead of having to pour a new identical candle  Thanks

You will likely need to melt these down in the oven...low heat...I use 170 keep an eye on them....then pour into your pour pot to use to repour into new containers. In future, I would pour test candles without wicks to test.  When your wax hardens, simply poke a hole in the center with a skewer...and cut off the wick tab and just put your wick in that hole.  This is for melt pool and HT testing only. If the wick isn't burning right, you just yank it out and put in a new wick until you are happy with your outcome.

Also....to attach your wicks in the future, I would use hot glue at the very least, not wax :)

• Like 1

Thank you Debratant.  I've been wondering how to make the wick testing process easier.  I think you just answered my question.  Now, does the wick have to go all the way down in the candle for testing. And would the hole made with the skewer be the right size for the wick to slide down but not dangle?   Thanks a million for responding 

5 hours ago, debratant said:

You will likely need to melt these down in the oven...low heat...I use 170 keep an eye on them....then pour into your pour pot to use to repour into new containers. In future, I would pour test candles without wicks to test.  When your wax hardens, simply poke a hole in the center with a skewer...and cut off the wick tab and just put your wick in that hole.  This is for melt pool and HT testing only. If the wick isn't burning right, you just yank it out and put in a new wick until you are happy with your outcome.

Also....to attach your wicks in the future, I would use hot glue at the very least, not wax :)

Yes, you will want to push the wick all the way down.  If you are using 4627 you should find it easy enough. My skewer is a tad larger than the wick sometimes...but I just heat gun the top and it fills in the hole. You could use a blow dryer on low if you don't have a heat gun.  

On 9/5/2016 at 11:02 PM, YAMS said:

Thank you Debratant.  I've been wondering how to make the wick testing process easier.  I think you just answered my question.  Now, does the wick have to go all the way down in the candle for testing. And would the hole made with the skewer be the right size for the wick to slide down but not dangle?   Thanks a million for responding 

13 hours ago, debratant said:

Yes, you will want to push the wick all the way down.  If you are using 4627 you should find it easy enough. My skewer is a tad larger than the wick sometimes...but I just heat gun the top and it fills in the hole. You could use a blow dryer on low if you don't have a heat gun.  

Wow, you have given me such good information.   This should make my life so much easier being that I am just starting out I have a lot of testing to do.  Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.