Caution - Lids and Odor (looking for alternatives)

I found the problem to an odor on my container candles Ive been troubleshooting for some time now.

Its a line I actually had to pull form my line while I troubleshot it. I made a previous post and strangely enough, after 6 months of dealing with this issue, I JUST discovered the cause.

The problem was a foul, almost body odor type smell. Strangely though, from the same batch.... my wax melts would smell perfect, samples perfect, tea lights perfect... but my tumbler candles smelled not so good after a couple days.

I experimented with EVERYTHING I could to figure out the issue... my wicks, the wax, FO, dyes, process, etc. And I always thoroughly wash my containers so that wasn't an issue.

Turns out... it was these damn tuber lids I was using! Unbelievable! These lids have a rubber seal that holds them snugly on the jars. Pretty standard really.. but why in the world these smelled like an armpit baffles me. I discovered it on accident (because honestly, who is going to blame a lid for their candle smelling bad). 

But, its 100% the cause. you can smell it directly from the lid.... and I have candles with the lids and without and ONLY the lids ones smell. It was such a hard smell to explain... but you smell the lid directly and its absoutely the same smell. Ive already contacted Peak about them and waiting on a response. 

But, I wanted to first warn everyone on here about this issue. Its been frustrating the heck out of me for half a year! I am relieved I know the cause now and that the candles themselves were completely fine just like they were before these lids. But... I also am hoping others on here can help by providing alternatives to these lids or a place they get these same lids WITHOUT the smell. I love the lids other than the odor.

Here is a link to the lids and the size. Thanks all!

http://www.peakcandle.com/products/Black-Metal-Lid-855x10mm-6-Pk__L1004.aspx

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, coconut said:

Did anyone contact Peak about it?  I'm sure they would want to know.

Yah I mentioned that I contacted them. Still waiting on a response. Hopefully it's something they can fix asap. It's really bad. 

I'm just going to find a suitable alternative.  In the meantime I am trying various ways to clean them to get rid of the smell from the manufacturing process of them. I'm assuming that's what it is..b or perhaps where and how peak stores them. 

2 hours ago, wthomas57 said:

Yah I mentioned that I contacted them. Still waiting on a response. Hopefully it's something they can fix asap. It's really bad. 

I'm just going to find a suitable alternative.  In the meantime I am trying various ways to clean them to get rid of the smell from the manufacturing process of them. I'm assuming that's what it is..b or perhaps where and how peak stores them. 

My apologies, I overlooked that part of your post.  A couple tips I found included leaving them outside in the sun for a bit, but not too long, and soaking in vinegar. A third included wiping a paste of baking soda on the rubber and let sit a while and then washing.   Good luck with it.  If you don't hear from Peaks, give them a call.  Sometimes emails go missing.  I had that once with them.

• Like 1

Hey everyone,

I heard from Peak and they said they haven't had that issue reported to them by anyone else.

They are looking into it but it would be very helpful if others who had this issue sent them a quick email as well letting them know of the issue.

Just tell them its the flat tumber lids and it has a terrible odor that affects the candles and they will probably be able to cross-reference pretty easy with the ticket I have open with them.

Their email is info@peakcandle.com

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone. Wanted to update you all on this topic. I worked with Peak to troubleshoot this concern. They issues a call tag and I sent about 20 lids back to them to check out.

They were able to notice the same smell on the lids I sent them. Then, they checked out their stock and found the same issue throughout. They said its the manufacturing process causing the smell which makes sense. They tend to think its only the black lids which is strange because to me it smelled like the silicon seal was the issue. Maybe not.

Here is their latest response:

<<<Thank you for your patience! We have had a chance to review the lids you sent in. We did notice that there is a smell, but that it appears to be a result of the manufacturing process of the black lids in particular. We also noticed that the smell is stronger on some of the lids than others, both in the samples you sent, and in our current stock of lids. Unfortunately, there is no way to guarantee that there will be no smell on future batches of lids. >>>

I dont really want to go to the silver lids, but may have to.

Anyone else use the black lids from another supplier that does not have any of these issues?