Too big or too small of a wick

I am trying to wick an 8 oz jelly jar with the 415 wax. I am using a cd 10 wick as recommended from candles and supplies. I had quite a bit of hangup on the opposite side of the wick after the third burn. I used 1 ounce per lb of fragrance oil - lemon something---sorry can't remember--...I also made one and wicked it with a cd 12 wick and jinkies that thing was a little hot but I had a nice burn all the way down. The wick started sooting the jar and the flame got really big towards the bottom which concerned me a little.

What do I do in this instance? The scent was not very good in the cd 10 jar. I don't think that the wax was getting hot enough to let the scent escape. I could be wrong though.

Please help. I will do my own testing - but what do you do in this case? I am at a real loss.

• Like 1

I ordered samples of both 415 + 464 along with sample wicks in varying sizes - cd + cdn wicks from southwest candle supplies 

the lady there told me to wick up one size when using both of those waxes. but it sounds like you've done that already. I'm just 

learning these 2 waxes + those particular wicks so hopefully a much more experienced person than i will chime in. another 

suggestion she did make was to cure at least 1 week + add 1 tbls beeswax or coconut oil pp of wax. I'm going to start with the 

beeswax first + see what happens . have you ever tried adding either of those 2 before. she said it helps with HT + cure time .

Guest OldGlory

You have to change your variables.

First, you have to test burn the whole candle. Pour the candle, let it sit for 3 days to allow the wax to fully set, then test it for wick compatibility. Burn it 2 or 3 hours, put it out. Next day, do the same. Next day the same, and repeat until you have exhausted the wax. That is the wick test. Keep detailed notes each day.

For the fragrance test you need to let it sit for at least a week. And I think one of the members here uses 1.5 oz pp to get a good throw in 415, so increase your fragrance load. (I tested 415 and could not get the fragrance throw I wanted. I now use 464 with 1 oz pp fragrance load.) The test for fragrance and the test for wick, if you choose to do them concurrently, should be done one full week after the candle was poured.

The hot candle is something you should avoid.

Some other variables are:

1. use a different wick type - I use Premiers from Aztec in 464

2. use a different wax - I use 464

3. use a different jar - maybe something wider

4. use a different fragrance oil - there is a huge difference in the way oils perform

Wow -you guys are superb....I will try again and again. Thank you so much for your help....Shewy this is harder than I thought but I'm learning so much...who knew it could be so complicated???

Well I tried the EcoSoya XCel - that wax is "sticky" like and I didn't have much smell when the  in both candles...I don't like this wax at all. The Flaming Candle where I bought the kit from shipped super fast. I think I had my items in 2 days. WOW!!!   Not sure about the ECO wicks either.

I will try the 464 wax. Never have yet.

I have read good things about the c3 wax as well.

• Like 1

Old Glory thanks so much for the great advise. I didn't know about burning at 3 hour intervals ... interesting . the premiere wicks id like to order 

as well and try those out in my 464 wax, i believe i saw that fillmore carries the premiere wicks. The advise you all give is really appreciated - 

thank you so much :)

Guest OldGlory
18 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Old Glory thanks so much for the great advise. I didn't know about burning at 3 hour intervals ... interesting . the premiere wicks id like to order 

as well and try those out in my 464 wax, i believe i saw that fillmore carries the premiere wicks. The advise you all give is really appreciated - 

thank you so much :)

It is my pleasure to offer help! There are lots of knowledgeable chandlers here that have tons of experience.

The suggestion of a 3 hour 'power burn' is for the jelly jar or something of similar diameter. If you test a wider jar you should let it burn longer. The purpose of a power burn is to simulate what your customers will do. Of course we never really know what they'll do but you need to push the candle a bit past what we as chandlers might think is reasonable. (On a side note, one of my early wholesale clients informed me that they left a little jelly jar candle burning by mistake all night in their store. I was horrified. Thankfully the wick was small enough that, although the jar was warm, it didn't break the glass.)

I like to suggest that customers buy candles according to their burning habits. Do they light it and blow it out in an hour? Do they burn it for 6 hours at a time? The shorter the burn the smaller the diameter of the candle should be to avoid tunneling. If they let it burn half the day they should purchase a pretty wide candle. It keeps the melt pool in proportion.