Wicking 4 oz. Jelly Jars - GW 444

Hi everyone,

I have been testing various fragrances in little 4-ounce quilted jelly jars, using GW444 wax & CSN wicks from CandleScience.  I'm just having a few issues.  The jar diameter is 2.5".  I narrowed it down to two sizes, CSN9 and CSN12.  I have noticed that these wicks curl to one side, so usually the wax melts to the glass on one side but leaves a lot of hangup on the other.  They're pretty rigid, so it's hard to twist them when pouring.  

Neither wick cleans the sides of the jars until nearly the end, when much of the wax hangup finally melts down.  However, the 12s definitely burn too hot; the flame is too large, soots a bit, and melt pool gets too deep.  The 9s are much better, but again, they pretty much tunnel until almost the end of the candle, when the excess wax finally melts down off the sides.  I feel like they just don't burn very prettily, even though the scent throw is wonderful.

Any suggestions?  Should I keep trying with these wicks or maybe test a different kind?

Thanks for any help.  It's so frustrating!

**I should add that i use a 6% fragrance load and no dyes or other additives.

Edited by ehatch1
Added extra info

Guest OldGlory

This is exactly where having lots of sizes to choose from helps. If you haven't tried Premier wicks, I think you might have some success with them. I would suggest 740, 745, or 750 - in that range. I don't use those jars or that wax so I can't say for sure. However, 444 isn't much different than 464 and I have been using that for many years. I think 444 is just a bit stiffer than 464.

Does the jar have perfectly straight up and down sides? or does is narrow at the bottom? If the sides slant, a certain amount of hangup and catchup are inevitable.

The jars are straight sided.  Thanks for the suggestions; I tried ECOs before this and wasn't happy with them, so when I tried CSNs and they were better, I decided to stick with them and figure it out.  But, perhaps I would have better luck changing wicks again.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2016 at 1:58 PM, nursenancy said:

I use 444 and cd wicks and for that size jar my starting point would be a 14 - I didn't like the CSN's at all.  

I've never used CSN's buy I use 444 and CD wicks worked for me as well.  CD 14 in particular. 

On 4/21/2016 at 6:14 PM, Faerywren said:

I use the 4 oz and the 8 oz jar and I start with a CD 8! Is it because y'all are using straight soy and I use a blend? I only bump up to a CD 10 if the oil is heavy/spicy. I have never used a CD 14 for anything, so I'm intrigued.

I'm not sure why but I always had to wick up from wick recommendations using 444.  It's the only wax I've ever used but if I used a CD 10 in a jelly jar it would tunnel and struggle to stay lit. A 12 might work, but a 14 most definitely works.

• Like 1