Am I TOTALLY overthinking this?

Just2BHappy

Okay, so I have samples of 7 different waxes on the way (well, I will, once I place my order at Candlescience):

4627, 4794, 4786, 4625, 4630, 6006, and Clarus 3022.

I think I have figured out the wax blends I want to try. There are 13 of them! I'm thinking this might be too much to start with, so I need advice. Would I be better off starting with maybe 3 blends, testing those, then tweaking from there? Or should I just go for it and make up all of the combinations I have in mind? My gut says to focus and not take on too much, especially since this is my first foray into wax (I should mention that I'm doing melts, not candles--at least not yet!). But then, I think, working with all the different waxes, I will learn a lot, which is kind of the point, right? Oh, and I also should mention that I do plan on using one FO to test all of the waxes (I'm thinking CS Very Vanilla, or CS Mac Apple).

I'm going to create a spreadsheet that I can use to record my testing results/observations. This is what I'm planning to include:

Date poured:

Wax(es): name, supplier, % (if blended)

Fragrance oil: name supplier, % used

Mix temp

Pour temp

Form: portion cup, metal mold, silicone mold, chunk, etc

Date tested:

Melter: hot plate (wattage), light bulb (wattage), tealight

Amount melted (ounces)

Cold throw

Hot throw

Am I missing anything?

I'm looking forward to the testing process, but I want to make sure I do it in a way that ensures I actually LEARN something, and make progress toward developing a nice melt, versus doing too much and becoming completely overwhelmed and confused! :huh:

I don't even have any wax in my hands yet, and I already feel like I need someone to talk me down from the ledge, so to speak! :D

Anyone willing to give me a little guidance? Thanks!

Oh, you sound like me when I started! I am very logical, like process and documentation. I LONG to be like many here for whom this is crafting (it is relaxing for them and they create beautiful works of art!). No, not me. I am not crafty and friends prefer I have no scissors!! 

I started spreadsheets, figured out a plan and poured (and often tossed) more wax than I liked and kept. Forever documenting and tweaking. Until I had it EXATLY how I wanted. Now I am only that way about new scents, scent blends, packaging and marketing! Some say there is both an art and a science to wax making. I certainly lean toward the math and science of it all. My business is exclusively wax melts.

Peak Candle does offer 2 pound sample sizes (and for melts, that is plenty for testing) in many waxes. I went that route only after spending money on many 10 pound slabs and bags that were then never used after testing.

I would start with 2 scents to test. One will quickly make you desensitized and you will lose how well the scent works in latter wax blends. I would use the same percentage in each wax blend.

I would also stay with one format (cup, shaped melt, etc.)  so that you have a baseline. I, personally stayed wit the same heating temp and the same temp at which I added FO. For initial testing, I would choose 1 warmer type. I TRULY wanted the wax to be the only variable. Later, when you have your wax blends narrowed down to say, the top 2, THEN bring in the variability of shape, different FO percentages, warmer types and such to get to your final choice. 

If you have the time and interest, make 1 batch, in each scent in each blend you wish to try/test. Wait as long as appropriate for the wax to cure/set and begin testing. Document as you have indicated and the following day, test the second scent (I preferred in the same wax blend) and then repeat.

You will quickly discover blends that offer better longevity and blends that offered better throw.

Once I narrowed down the wax blend that tested best for me, I worked on tweaking percentages of each wax. Now I only change up percentages when i can see that one of my waxes looks or feels different. 

I would say "have fun" but if you are uptight like me, blend testing is as much getting it right and following a process as it is fun. Fun for me was getting an ideal blend and then playing with scents.

• Like 2

Guest OldGlory

It's nice to see that you're putting a lot of thought into this creative journey. Good for you!

Have you read, in this same section, the thread titled 'Warmers and melts a comprehensive overview'? You might get some good information there regarding wax combinations and what to test. The appliance you use to melt the wax will make a HUGE difference.

The 2 fragrances you have chosen to test are not powerhouses. I don't know if you chose them for being sort of middle of the road. You should be aware going in to this process that your ability to smell your testers will diminish as you work with the fragrances. It's called anosmia. Febreeze mentions it in their commercials, calling it 'nose blind'. It's all too real. For that reason, you should have other people test for you, people who will be as diligent as you. Maybe one person could test all the different wax combinations in one type of melter, another person gets a different type of melter, etc. I strongly urge you to not depend on your ability to smell. Give your testers the spreadsheet and explain the importance of gathering reliable data.

What is your end goal? Is this going to be a business or a hobby? I would pursue each differently.

Hi justajesuschick! I am SO GLAD to hear I am not alone! :)

I do have a little bit of a crafty gene, but I often find myself paralyzed by too many options. Which is why I am trying to narrow my focus with this endeavor.

Most of the wax I have ordered is 2 lb samples from Peaks. I have a sample of 3022 coming as well, and I will be ordering 10 lbs each of 4625 and 4630 from Candlescience. I chose to get the larger sizes of those because they seem to be the base for a lot of blends that people have reported success with (you included, I think!). I have some FO samples coming from Peaks as well (figured I would piggyback some on the shipping I was paying for the wax). When I place my order with CS I will be ordering 2 8oz bottles of FO to use for testing. 

3 hours ago, justajesuschick said:

I TRULY wanted the wax to be the only variable.

YES! That is what I want to figure out first. So, having said that, I have a couple more questions, if you don't mind. (Anyone else who wants to chime in as well, I appreciate all of your opinions.)

1) What is the max number of wax blends you recommend I start testing with? Two, three, more? I would keep all other factors consistent, including FO, like you suggested. Now that I think about it, would it be a good strategy to just test 2 blends against each other to start, then just keep trying to top it?

2) How large a batch of each blend is necessary to truly evaluate my first attempts? I will only be testing these myself (there is no way I will be giving testers any of my first attempts!). I have decided to use 2 oz portion cups for my testing. I don't want to make too large a batch and risk wasting precious wax on a lot of failures. But at the same time, I wonder if making small batches (say 4 oz, giving me 2 portion cups, plus a wee bit extra) would make it too hard to get measurements exact across batches (I imagine a drop or 2 of FO might make a difference in only 4 oz of wax). There's that overthinking again!

3 hours ago, justajesuschick said:

I would say "have fun" but if you are uptight like me, blend testing is as much getting it right and following a process as it is fun. Fun for me was getting an ideal blend and then playing with scents.

I have been described as "uptight" more than once! :D But I have been working on it, and I find it much easier now to just let stuff go and roll with stuff. But I am quite analytical, and the process itself sounds fun to me. I say that having NEVER done this before, so I may come back here later and retract what I just said! I look forward to the day when I can start playing with scents (that REALLY sounds like fun)!

I can't thank you enough! I have read a lot of your posts here, going back to when you first started, and it's obvious you have found success! I value your opinions and help!

Michelle

I think Just2BHappy has officially been initiated into our group, don't ya think? LOL

She is well on her way, look out!

This is how all serious candlemakers start out! Gosh, I remember those days....actually, I'm still having those days! It's never ending, from here on out you will always be testing; trying to get a better scent throw, mixing up waxes, waiting for the cures, stuffing tarts and candles into our significant other's noses asking about the cold throw, etc. etc. 

You know what, though? After all these years, I still love it :)

• Like 5

Hi OldGlory! Thank you for responding! I really am trying to be at least a little bit educated before I jump in. Everyone who responds to me helps me SO much!

3 hours ago, OldGlory said:

Have you read, in this same section, the thread titled 'Warmers and melts a comprehensive overview'?

I have, actually I read it a while back, so I went back today and re-read it. You're right, there's a lot of great info there.

The 2 fragrances you have chosen to test are not powerhouses. I don't know if you chose them for being sort of middle of the road.

I had started a thread in the FO section asking for help choosing one to start my testing with. I don't know how to link it here, but the name of the thread is "Good fo for a newbie to use for testing wax?". It was recommended that I start with single note scents, which makes sense to me. Mac Apple was recommended more than once. I decided on that one because it would be very different from the other one I chose, Very Vanilla. I chose that one based on a lot of good feedback I read about it through searching the forums, plus I just love vanilla scents and I wanted something I would enjoy working with. I do recall reading that vanilla scents can be finicky, though, and require a higher mix temp, and more actual mixing, to incorporate the FO into the wax. I figured I would give it a shot, but I really want my first attempts to be at least a step above total failures, so if you can recommend other FO's from Candlescience (my order with Peaks has already been placed) that would be good for a rookie, I would welcome that!  (BTW, I cannot tolerate laundry or ocean scents, or anything overly perfumey--I DO like Pink Sugar, though, and anything sweet in general).

you should have other people test for you, people who will be as diligent as you

I need to find some people willing to do this for me!

What is your end goal? Is this going to be a business or a hobby? I would pursue each differently.

Right now, this is a hobby. However, turning this into a business is in the back of my mind, MAYBE somewhere down the line. It really hadn't occurred to me at first, but I'm at a point in my life where the career path I have been on my whole life makes me extremely unhappy. I have resources right now that have allowed me to leave my job, but I HAVE to have something to do! Hence, the new hobby! Someone recently told me to "find my passion"; I don't know if this will be it, but if it is, I might pursue it. I haven't ruled it out, but I'm not actively pursuing the business end. (I hope that made sense!)

Thank you SO much!

Michelle

Welcome to your new addiction and the club of candle, wax and fragrance addicts! LOL!

I wish I had taken better notes than I did. I would LOVE to have some of Karen's type A personality but I don't have even a smidgen. I am kind of crafty though, just not organized or a good record keeper. I would defiantly do it a little bit different if I had to start all over again. 

I have used some of the waxes you have listed like 4625 (which I still use), 4630 (still use), 4794 ( didn't care much for this one alone but am going to order more to mix with 4625 for shaped tarts), 6006 (love the creaminess of this wax but wanted to stay with all paraffin to avoid cure time), and they are all great. Personally, and only because I'm not organized or a good record keeper, I would keep it to 2 or 3 wax combos for right now and go from there. Also, find some testers and see what they have to say as compared to what they get from other places. A lot depends on the FO that's used as much as the wax combo.

If you're very organized like Karen, then I would follow her protocol. She's got it going on! I know I would just get myself confused and overwhelmed because I'm so ADD! 

*shudder*

However you decide to do this, one thing is for sure. You have a great support group that will help you through the process and will also enable you to buy more FO's than you ever dreamed possible LOL!

Have fun and know that we are all here to help!

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

I want to be clear - there is nothing wrong with the fragrances you want to experiment with, but in my opinion they are not really super strong. I have customers who do NOT want fragrances that are really strong. However, if I was starting out, I think I would want the true powerhouse fragrances. You will find in your testing that some fragrances permeate every crevice of your home and some gently exist as more of an background thought. Some slap you in the face, some tickle your nose. Enough of the metaphors? LOL!

The point is this: when you have an FO that you know is uber strong in one wax, and lacking power in another wax, it's easier to tell the difference. And that's what you are trying to determine, right?

I don't buy much from Candle Science because of their shipping policies, when you order 2 one lb bottles of FO, one is shipped from Nevada at a cost of $18, and one is shipped from NC at a cost of $18, because they don't have both in the same warehouse. It really burns my butt to pay shipping in the first place (I buy most of my stuff locally) and when I have to pay double shipping I want to drop that supplier entirely. I'm pretty spoiled being able to pick up my waxes, jars, and FOs 40 minutes from my house. I can't advise you about which FOs to pick from Candle Science. But I have used both of the ones you want to use, and while they are both very nice, they still aren't powerhouses.

A few powerhouse fragrances from Aztec are Cool Water, Lovespell, Sweet Potato & Brown Sugar, Mulberry, Mango Papaya, and they have a very easy way to order just a few (up to 5) samples. I have had really good luck with Aztec FOs.

7 minutes ago, Belinda said:

Personally, and only because I'm not organized or a good record keeper, I would keep it to 2 or 3 wax combos for right now and go from there

I think that's what I'm going to do. I think I'll start with just two; that's a pretty easy comparison, I hope. Is this one better, or is that one better!

I'm a fairly organized person, and I have this weird thing where I kinda like to fill out forms. I'm a list-maker and a record-keeper. I'll even make a list of things I've done after the fact, just to be able to cross it all off! (Yeah, I know, it's weird.)

13 minutes ago, Belinda said:

However you decide to do this, one thing is for sure. You have a great support group that will help you through the process and will also enable you to buy more FO's than you ever dreamed possible LOL!

This is a great support group, you're right. The evidence is all of the people, you include, who are willing to take the time to read my newbie posts and respond so helpfully! Thank you so much, Belinda!

29 minutes ago, OldGlory said:

Some slap you in the face, some tickle your nose.

LOL, that's funny! I like mine somewhere in the middle.

30 minutes ago, OldGlory said:

The point is this: when you have an FO that you know is uber strong in one wax, and lacking power in another wax, it's easier to tell the difference. And that's what you are trying to determine, right?

EXACTLY! This is what I alluded to in my fragrance oil thread. I wanted to eliminate as many variables as possible, so I could really evaluate the wax.

I have read about the Candlescience shipping issues. I hope when I order it is all in stock in the NV warehouse. I live in California and CS has the best shipping prices to my location. I price-shopped, shipping included, several other companies, from different areas of the country, and CS beat them all. I would love to be able to drive to a supplier and pick up an order. Why are all the great suppliers in the middle of the country, or on the East Coast? The only suppliers near me don't carry IGI wax (well, one company carries ONE, I think it's 6006); they only have the stuff from China. Boooooooo.

I learned about the Aztec 5 for 5 deal earlier this month, and went ahead and placed an order. I didn't get any of the FO you mentioned, so I might pick up some of those in March (I'm especially interested in the Sweet Potato and Brown Sugar, how did I not see that one?). I think I'll still try to get my 8 oz bottles for my testing from CS, though, just for the shipping savings (if they are coming from the same place).

Can anyone recommend some powerhouses from CS? :)

Thanks so much, again!

On February 27, 2016 at 6:38 PM, Just2BHappy said:

I think that's what I'm going to do. I think I'll start with just two; that's a pretty easy comparison, I hope. Is this one better, or is that one better!

I'm a fairly organized person, and I have this weird thing where I kinda like to fill out forms. I'm a list-maker and a record-keeper. I'll even make a list of things I've done after the fact, just to be able to cross it all off! (Yeah, I know, it's weird.)

This is a great support group, you're right. The evidence is all of the people, you include, who are willing to take the time to read my newbie posts and respond so helpfully! Thank you so much, Belinda!

You're so welcome! I hope we can all be of help to you. I've learned so much from the people on here. Don't ever hesitate to ask for advice! We are always glad to help.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my first wax order! Yay!

56de098153cf4_peaksorder.thumb.jpg.99b5f

It's a boring picture but I was excited! I ended up making my first test melts over the weekend. I made 4 batches, each using 100 grams wax and 6 grams FO (Peaks Fruit Slices), in the following blends:

50/50 4794/4627

50/50 4794/6006

and

75/25 4794/4627

75/25 4794/6006

Mixed at 180, poured at 150, approximately (the batches were so small it was hard to get the probe of the thermometer very deep, so I'm not sure I was getting accurate readings.)  I got 3 portion cups from each batch. They weren't poured quite to the top. None of them came out of the cups without a good deal of effort (I kind of expected this, due to the softer waxes). And they all had a bit of a dip on top, I'm guessing from the 4794.  I'm having a hard time judging the cold throw, I think by the time I sniff the 4th cup my nose has already tuned out the scent! I've only melted one so far, the 50/50 4794/4627. I melted half of the portion cup (because that is what I am used to melting from vendors) in a 20 watt hot plate warmer, and the HT was okay, about medium, and it only lasted about 5 hours or so. I'm waiting a while to test the 6006 blends, to give it time to cure.

Not quite sure where to go from here! If I'm not thrilled with the HT or longevity, what do you think should I adjust first? The wax percentages, or the FO%?

Thanks! Having fun so far!

Guest OldGlory

My 2 cents:

You are not getting a true idea of how your melts behave, so there's nothing to trouble shoot yet. The fact that your nose is tuning out the fragrances is why you need people to test for you.

I am testing a fragrance at home today that is a 3.5-4.0 on a scale of 1-5 (5 being high) for intensity - Georgia Peach from Aztec. I had 2 windows open in my living room (where my front door is), and I had about .4 oz of wax/fo blend in a warmer about 40 feet from my front door in a bedroom. I'd had the warmer on for about 8 hours and couldn't smell it. I left the house for an hour, came back, opened the door, and there it was - even with the windows in the living room open I could smell it. This is also what happens to your customers. If they are in the midst of the fragrance all day every day they will lose their ability to smell it and blame the quality of your melt. It is unavoidable.

People ask me 'How long do the melts last?'. I ask them 2 questions - what kind of warmer do they use and if they leave it on 24/7. Most of the people I talk to use a hot plate warmer (burns off the fragrance faster than a light bulb warmer) and they leave them on 24/7. I simply tell them if they'll keep the warmer going 2 hours at a time, 3 or 4 times a day, their melts will last 3 times as long. Otherwise, expecting it to last more than 24 hours is unrealistic. But, that's what they do. Better for our businesses, right?

Go thru your waxes and find the ones with the highest fragrance load capability. Start with those, and max out the load. Find the consistency/texture that you want. Then put your testers to work!

1 hour ago, justajesuschick said:

I would let them sit a bit before testing. Especially those with soy in the blends.

I know, I just couldn't wait! :D I HAD to try one! I pulled out my small box of melts that I have purchased from others, and I'm melting those while I wait!

17 minutes ago, OldGlory said:

Go thru your waxes and find the ones with the highest fragrance load capability. Start with those, and max out the load. Find the consistency/texture that you want. Then put your testers to work!

Thank you OldGlory! I started with the "standard" of 1 oz FO pp, but my next batches I will max out. I need to place another order for some different waxes I want to try, and I will have to order a few larger bottles of FO (I only have 1 oz samples right now).

Having used wax melts for a while now, I am familiar with candlenose! :) It kinda sucks! And I know it will only get worse as I keep doing this.

I don't know if I'm ready to send anything out for testing yet! *shudder* I don't have that kind of confidence in my stuff! Not yet! I'd just like to find something I'm happy with first. Besides, I'd have to actually find some testers first; I don't personally know any hard-core wax melters, or even casual ones.

I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate all your help. You are AWESOME!