Why Are FOs Used In Wax Melts Rather Than Just EOs ?

frankfrank

While searching for an answer to the above, I found the following two quotes in www.aromaweb.com .

"Carrier oils are used to dilute essential and other oils prior to topical application. The term carrier oil is derived from their purpose in carrying the essential oil onto the skin. If applied to the skin undiluted, essential oils, absolutes, CO2s and other concentrated aromatics can cause severe irritation or reactions in some individuals."

"Carrier oils are generally not necessary when using most types of diffusers."

So why not put just plain essential oil in wax to make tarts?  Isn't the carrier oil just adding complexity and cost?

Frank

Fragrance oils are generally synthetic blends which may have some percentage of essential oil but mostly carrier and synthetic fragrance.  most people use FO because they are more economical and offer a greater variety.  for example, there is no such essential oil as "cinnamon bun'  Essential oils are distilled from plants, flowers, herbs, etc and can be used in melts as they are

HTH

Edited by nursenancy

Guest OldGlory

Let's take your line of reasoning a bit further.

Who needs wax at all? You can put a few tablespoons of hot water in the bowl of the warmer and put a few drops of EO in the water and let the water gently diffuse the EO. It's been done that way for years - in fact, I started my business with EOs only and I sold them in candles and bottles of the liquids. One of my favorites to use in a warmer is sweet orange.

But there are people who prefer the scent of an apple pie, or blueberry cobbler to the limited selection of EOs. And, FOs are less expensive than EOs. Give the customers what they want.