Craft Fair Help and Suggestions

MLG

Even though there is an older thread on this topic, it has a TON of valuable information. However, I am still needing some help. I have never done a craft fair before and I have been asked to participate in one this fall. This particular event is an annual 2-day craft fair (and a rather large outdoor one) which has great monetary potential. Last year - out of nearly 400 booths - there were only two booths that sold candles. And they were not the main focus of the booths (they were part of a bath and body booth). My head is spinning right now. I have looked on Pinterest regarding booth/tent setup and I "think" I have a good handle on that part at least. My problem is product quantity. Would someone please be willing to guide me in the right direction? How many different scents should I try to focus on? I plan on bringing 8oz and 12oz containers along with some clamshells. There is one signature scent that I will carry in a 31oz Libbey Cylinder (military related). I just want to make sure I have plenty of supply without overkill. I feel like I'm trying to hit a hidden target. I can't remember the last time I felt so green on something.

Hi MLG!

I do a ton of craft fairs and markets and know how intimidating that first show can be. First of all, try to relax.  Craft shows are a lot physical work so you will be too busy to worry about much. Also, this will be where you learn a ton of stuff to do for the next time and the stuff you don't want to do. So its a great learning experience and a good opportunity to talk to other vendors to find other shows you may be interested in or do well at.

I don't know how many tables or the space set up you have but for a large show I typically do a 3 table set up. My tables are the standard 6' x 2.5' so that give me quite a bit of space to set up product.

I like to have a display for each table. Maybe one table will be all candles, another soap, another B&B. For you, you can do 1-3 tables with your candles. Try to use risers if you have them. A riser is a step display that has more than one level, like 2 or 3 or even 4 shelves where you can set your candles on to show them off nicely.  You could have a seperate table for your clamshells or just place them out front so they are easy to see and for customers to pick up.

i typically bring anywhere from 14-20 scents. I also have 2 candle sizes. So I typically set up my candles on either 1 or 2 tables. Lately I have been using one since I am mostly a soap company. Now I use 2 tables  to fill with soap and bath product.

Bring a nice tablecloth for each table, nothing busy like a wild print pattern. If you have a logo and colors match the colors in your logo to look professional and to brand your product. Branding is very important. Make biz cards, brochures, signs, labels, and any promotional materials using your logo and colors. That includes labels and packaging. Try to coordinate and you will be surprised at how professional your set up looks. For example, my colors are olive green and yellow so my table cloths are olive green and my accent colors are yellow and white. I keep all my promotional materials coordinated so I look more professional. The more professional you appear you will find that builds trust before the customer even enters your booth. They see someone who's display and product are smart looking and professional and will come to my booth instead of the sloppy careless booth next door.

If you are outdoors I hope you have a canopy tent. Most of them are 10 x 10' but there are some that are 8 x 10'. This will shade you and your product and also protect you from UV rays. You may need weights if there is any trace of wind in the air. YOu don't want to lose your tent on your first show! Be sure to bring a comfy chair, folding type, and your lunch and plenty of drinks. Its very, very, very, thirsty work and you need to stay hydrated during the day.

Mostly you want to try to have fun and smile and engage your customers. Even if you can get only get them to try one candle, or one melt, that is important as they may become repeat customers. Repeat customers are your best and the ones that come back again and again and spend more money! So you want to make a good first impression and put them at ease and create trust.

There is a lot more but I'm sure others will chime in!

• Like 1

Thank you Candybee! I appreciate your words of wisdom. Like I said, I am VERY green on this topic. And, for me, it is an uncomfortable place to be. I am definately outside my comfort zone here. I know you don't know the specific situation regarding the event and I know this will only be a rough estimate, but about how many candles should I plan on bringing with me? It is by no means War Eagle in Arkansas, but it is an entire city park and community event (farming community). People travel from all over the state and then some just to attend this event. Since it is an outdoor event, and I will be about 45 minutes from home, I am planning on staying in my tent over night. I won't have a chance to go home in between days ( Saturday and Sunday) and I am worried about supply amounts. I guess it's that I know I am inexperienced, but I do NOT want to appear to be that way. My teacher personality will not allow it! lol! I know it will be a great experience, but right now I'm a little stressed about it. Thanks again for your comments. I do feel better (and excited) about it :-)

Edited by MLG

My candle amount may not help you much as I am mostly a soap company with candles on the side. I do one table full of candles. I use two 4-step risers. I can display approx. 100-120 candles on my table using the risers. One riser has my fall scents and the other has my Christmas. I start selling Christmas candles as early as September since so many people want them early and to stash away as gifts. So per table I have enough room for seven candles across each step of my riser. So the top steps are the large size and the lower steps are my small candles. I do 8oz and 12oz jars.

Since I only do 1 table full of candles I typically bring about 2-4 cases of my large size and about 5-10 cases of my best sellers; the 8oz candles. The reason my case numbers vary so much is that I already know approximately how many candles each show I do will sell. I bring enough and then add a few more to be sure I have enough.

I also have a small step stool in between my risers to display my 'special' candles such as Christmas Tree or Pumpkin Spice or ones that I expect will be recognized as premium scents.

This is how I set my candle table. Yours may be entirely different. Depends on how much you can get on your table.

My advice, practice an entire craft show set up at home. Use your backyard if you have to. Set up your tent, tables, everything. That way you already know ahead of time what works and what looks good. I did it the first time I had a show and believe me it saved me a lot of time as I already knew my 'set up'. Also, since my tent was brand new it helped me learn how to set that up by myself so I was ready at the craft show.

Also, doing your set up at home will give you a much better idea of how much product to take with you. If you fill your tables up with 10 cases of candles, be sure to bring 12-15 cases so you have extra. Hope that helps.

You don't have to use risers but the reason I suggest them is because the allow all your candles to be seen at once. Since each level is higher the eyes go right to each level. It also creates interest to display your product on different levels rather than flat on the table.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

Thank you so much! This helps me a great deal! I was thinking along those same lines. I think once I get the space set up at home the way I want it, I will take several pictures so I can be certain to recreate it! LOL!!!

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Candybee has given you some awesome advice. Nobody can guess how many scents you should take/will sell. Take as much as you can afford to take - and as much as you can sell in other ways AFTER the event. Some fairs are great, others suck, and there's no way to tell which ones are which.

How many truly awesome fragrances do you have in your line? How many that are really good? Might as well start there.

How many will fit on your tables? I think 6 per fragrance is plenty, and more than enough if you have more than one size. Take an order form in case someone wants to order from you. And decide in advance how you want to handle that - will you require a deposit? What will you do with the product if the customer never pays you for the order? That happens a lot.

The best advice I can ever give is this: GET UP OFFA THAT THING! Stand up and engage with every customer. Say hello. Talk about the weather. Talk about sports. ANYTHING! Open the dialogue. Sometimes once a customer starts talking they will ask questions about your products and there's your opening. Sitting in a chair, acting disinterested will cause people to just walk past you. At least pretend that you are happy to be there and have the chance to engage! Have a positive energy about you and a smile.