Reputable Insurance Company Needed ASAP

MLG

I am looking for a dependable and reasonable insurance company - for both candles and bath/body. I am new to selling these products and I am scared to death of being sued. I am an LLC, but I just feel I need insurance to further protect myself and my family/business. Any recommendations please????

Edited by MLG

OK....this is sad...does NOT cover candle making.....SO the place to go would be...... http://www.soapguild.org/store/ .....these folks cover B&B and candles.

The WSP insurance doesn't cover candles? 

That's irritating because the picture clearly shows a candle burning so you would assume that it would. 

ETA: I haven't looked into it so I didn't know. I already have insurance through the guild. 

Edited by Jcandleattic
  • Like 1

I just looked on the WSP site and they explicitly exclude candles. And that's a shame because the price was great. I also checked into The Guild and it seems to be a great fit for me. I've researched others and I'm always skeptical of companies I don't know anything about. I'm also extremely hesitate about mentioning my new business to my homeowners insurance for fear of them dropping my coverage. The Guild's site was very forthcoming and free with information. Thanks so much for your help. Unless I am missing something, I think I'm set

• Like 1

Your homeowners insurance policy should say if they exclude coverage due to something specific like candle making.  Most likely it does not.  Hopefully you have a company with a local agent.  Call him/her and ask they can tell you or find the answer for you.

I just looked on the WSP site and they explicitly exclude candles. And that's a shame because the price was great. I also checked into The Guild and it seems to be a great fit for me. I've researched others and I'm always skeptical of companies I don't know anything about. I'm also extremely hesitate about mentioning my new business to my homeowners insurance for fear of them dropping my coverage. The Guild's site was very forthcoming and free with information. Thanks so much for your help. Unless I am missing something, I think I'm set

It truly IS a shame....it would be nice for there to be some GREAT competition for our hard earned dollars to pay them for insurance. I would love to see that.

Your homeowners insurance policy should say if they exclude coverage due to something specific like candle making.  Most likely it does not.  Hopefully you have a company with a local agent.  Call him/her and ask they can tell you or find the answer for you.

Most homeowners policy's don't cover you, so I would make sure before assuming they do even if it doesn't explicitly say they don't. Most will make you buy a separate policy. 

For me, my State Farm policy was more per year than the Guild insurance including the membership, so I switched. 

I didnt mean a homeowners policy will cover her general liability for selling product/candles.  I meant that most homeowner insurance policies dont have exclusions that would cause them to drop her home insurance due to making candles in the home.  For general/product liability, that is a seperate policy all together.

I didnt mean a homeowners policy will cover her general liability for selling product/candles.  I meant that most homeowner insurance policies dont have exclusions that would cause them to drop her home insurance due to making candles in the home.  For general/product liability, that is a seperate policy all together.

No, but even making them in your home (whether you sell or not) may not be covered. Most are not, and you have to have a separate policy. At least I did. 

They wouldn't have covered me if an accident happened due to me making candles in my home without the separate policy. 

She should call her agent to make very sure what's covered and what's not. 

I agree with jcandleattic about calling your agent to find out if it is covered or not.  My policy through Allstate does not have an exclusion of coverage for this. 

Wow - Allstate is one of the ones that wouldn't cover me at all, and wouldn't provide a separate policy, so that's how I ended up with State Farm and a separate policy before going with the guild. 

Allstate told me if something were to happen due to me making in my house (aka fire) that I would be SOL (LOL they didn't actually say SOL but close enough!!) 

LOL.  I sell auto & home insurance for Allstate in TX and called my underwriters for clarification.  They told me that on our "new" policy there is not an exclusion for candlemaking.  Said it fell into a covered category of sudden & accidental loss.  They also said that most of the danger in candles is the burning of candles not the making of candles.  I laughed and said "well I have heard a few stories that might make you cringe", the underwriter said same goes for cooking. 

So I guess depending on when you tried to get insurance would have determined which policy they had at the time.  Also if you are in a different state, rules can be much different even for the same company.  I will probably call back and get a 2nd & 3rd opinion for different underwriters to make myself feel better though.

Now as it goes for the seperate policy to cover you general liability, Allstate business will not touch most things that have high risk...

candlemaking, restaurants, glass making, landscaping, etc..

• Like 1

update on the coverage.  I spoke to a member of management for the underwriters, he said that the act of doing business out of your home that causes damage is not covered.  as in your home is not covered.  But if that same thing were only a hobby it would be covered.

• Like 1

Thank you all for suggestions. You have given me a lot to think about.  I have intentionally NOT contacted my homeowner's insurance due to fear of cancellation, but you have have given some great alternatives and I appreciate your help :)