The filler in my pillar

Thanks to all the wonderful dvice I've recieved here my early attempts at pillars are going (imo) great. IGI 4625 experimenting with flt brd 24, 30, 36. The one area that gives me trouble is topping off the dip. Im punching relief holes twice usually twice in the process. The finished product, however, has the visible signs of added wax, in this case a ring around the top of the candle. using a cookie sheet i've leveled the top off nicely but the ring is still there. suggestions as what I can do........please?

Scott

:laugh2: OMG! how stupid am I? I read your reply, looked at my candle and couldn't help laughing at myself. Of course upside down

Hey you're not stupid, when I first started I didnt know the top from the bottom of a pillar...It wasnt until I bought my first candlemaking book that I figured that out...I had been trying to make them upside down for awhile...hahahahahaha

And you're lucky! You found this site, I just found this site recently...and I've been candlemaking for years! It shows me everything I still do not know...These people are awesome! Ask any question and so meone will be able to help you with it....

I just ordered a pillar kit from Peak and according to UPS tracking, it's at my house waiting for me to come home!!! Yea!!! Hopefully I'll get to work on my first one tonight - I'm glad I read this first though - I'll have to double check to make sure it's not up-side-down! Thanks for the tip. Any other tips for a soon-to-be first-timer?

I just ordered a pillar kit from Peak and according to UPS tracking, it's at my house waiting for me to come home!!! Yea!!! Hopefully I'll get to work on my first one tonight - I'm glad I read this first though - I'll have to double check to make sure it's not up-side-down! Thanks for the tip. Any other tips for a soon-to-be first-timer?

Yup, read the basic instructions over there on the left, then read through the newbie thread. Then jump in and have fun :grin2:

Well, I started my pillar - all of the instructions were great except for one thing - I didn't know how much wax to melt for my pillar :confused: ...I'll have to keep playing around with it...I'm at work and don't remember the size of the mold I had, but it's the one that came with the kit....it was still fun though - I can't wait to finish!

A calculator! I swear, I must like the self-abuse of doing thigs the hard way - I use all kinds of calculators on here for everything else, but it never occured to me to use it for this. I must have been in "just got boxes from Peak exhileration mode" and wasn't thinking clearly. Thanks!

But if you have wicked your candle mold already, how can the top be the bottom? Or do you not put a sustainer base on it and just glue the wick to the bottom of the mold??

Often those who wick the mold don't use wick tabs. When you wick the mold, you will have excess wick sticking out both ends. The end that goes through the wick hole will have a knot, screw, plug etc. Some people trim the wick off of the top of the mold(open end)/bottom of the candle before doing the repour. You wouldn't see the wick on the bottom of the candle that way. Others just trim off the excess after unmolding. Either way, there is no need for glue.