What does a bobbing, sideways flame mean?

In my 3"+ straight-sided tumblers, the flame always changes about midway down the container. Is this to be expected even with the "right" wick? Deal breakers for me are excessively tall, flickering, and sooty flames but what about the ones that may sputter a little, bob about and/or burn sideways even with a nice 1/4"+ deep MP. Is that to be expected or is it a sign of over- or under-wicking?

To me, a sideways flame indicates air movement in the direction of the flame bending.

This is what I was going to say. 

Is your AC or Heater on? Do you have windows open where there is a breeze? Also as a candle burns down, and the oxygen gets thinner in the jar the flame can create it's own air movement as well. To me when it does this and none of the other factors are present, that indicates I may have an over-wicked candle. 

• Like 2

Do you happen to have a picture of that?  Is your wick centered straight? As Old Glory and Jcandleattic posted, it probably is air circulation.  Move the candle to a different location, away from drafts, and see what happens :)