Blending Waxes

This is one of those reasons why you should know your wax, or in this case, know both of your waxes thoroughly before attempting to blend them.  I typically use the higher heating temp of the two waxes and they tend to blend easily. But not knowing what waxes you are using this may not be the case.

It may help to tell us what your waxes are that you want to blend.

I have been playing with a combo of 4786 and 6098 for awhile now and like the results so far. Years ago the same person who advised me that stirring for 2' was really important also told me that in order for two waxes to bind properly and completely they need to be heated to 200*. I tend to live by the saying of "if it's not broke don't fix it" but there's just a few things in my process that I am trying to get a better understanding of the reasons behind why I am doing them. The waxes look completely blended far before they reach that temp but I thought maybe something changes molecularly at around 200 that is needed to complete the process. ??? :)

I've been blending waxes for years and never heard of heating to 200 degrees for them to "bind".  There is one reason to heat to 200. That would be if you are doing a repour and the original pour was heated at 190. Then your repour would be to heat to 200. Thats for the repour layer to bind to the first layer. Not for the 2 waxes to bind in your melting pot.

Lets look at your waxes first. The 4786 is a low MP container paraffin. Instructions for heating I found are to heat to 180 degrees. Its a 2 pour wax so needs to be topped off with a second pour.

Your other wax is a parasoy container blend with an even lower MP. Instructions say to heat to 200. That sounds a little high to me I wouldn't go above 185-195 degrees but thats me.

If it were me I would heat them together in your melting pot up to a heating temp of 185-195 degrees F as your starting point. Add your FO and dye and blend them. Pour about 165-175 as your starting point.

By starting point I mean you need to experiment with it and see for yourself what is your best heating and pouring range. But that should get you started.

Also, be aware that you may still have to check for air pockets or possible do a repour to level the container since the 4786 is a repour wax. Blending the 2 waxes may create air pockets thats why I suggest checking a few candles to be sure its solid wax with no air pockets especially around the wick. You may not have them but again you may and it would be on your larger containers say 16oz or more. Small jars like jelly jars should be no problem.

Hope that helps you out.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1