Summer shipping - ice packs?

I recently received some feedback that a customer's tarts arrived "beyond melted during the hottest week of the year" (in CA). I did ship on a Monday and I don't know how long it sat outside the customer's house before they came home to get it. I feel like I should do something more to avoid this. Does anyone use ice packs during shipping? Any opinions on the best ones to get?

I've also seen other candlemakers ship priority and require a customers signature so packages aren't left in the sun all day. However, I find it difficult myself to get to the post office when they are open so I'm not sure if that's the best option. Ideas?

(My blend is Ecosoya CB/PB)

Thanks!

Emily

I've also seen other candlemakers ship priority and require a customers signature so packages aren't left in the sun all day. However, I find it difficult myself to get to the post office when they are open so I'm not sure if that's the best option. Ideas?

That is your best option. Ice pack will not survive very long. You get less than 24 hours out of them before they are totally melted. Southern CA would be nightmare to ship too in the summer. I use to have a list of places I would not ship to in the hottest summer months. My customers understood, if they ordered and insisted I ship it was on them if they did not make it intact.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest OldGlory

What you can't control is how long the customer leaves the product in the heat. Short of overnight AND either dry ice or ice packs WITH a signature required at delivery I don't know what you can do. And who wants to pay for that kind of shipping cost?

Like others, I don't ship if the temperature is over 85 on either my end or the receivers end.

Maybe you could use a harder paraffin wax during the summer months.