Graphic art, Clipart Rules

bugtussle

OK, somebody jump in and help me. I am about to do a website and want to know what is legal/illegal as far as clip art, graphics, fonts, etc. If you use something from a "canned" software package, ie Microsoft Office, Print Shop, Printmaster, are you legal or "is it permitted?" I reviewed the license agreements on several software packages and can't make "heads or tails" of it. Thks,

Hi

As far as I know, if it is a graphic included in a software package there shouldn't be a problem if it is registered software. You could always contact them to check, I think the contact details are normally part of the Help file. I do know that on most Freeware/Shareware websites you are allowed to use graphics for personal use, but mostly not for commercial without the permission of the owner. One example is Clipart.com. In terms of actual photos, as far as I know, the same applies, particularly if there is a copyright (obviously) on the image.

HTH at least a bit.

Katinka

Well...it depends on your use. Programs like Print Shop, Office, PrintMaster and all the others that ofter thousands and thousands of clipart images have restrictions. You are permitted to use those images to promote your business and your products. Meaning, you can use them in certain aspects of your web-site, you can use them in brochures, on business cards, letterheads, etc.

You are not allowed to use them on any commercial product. That means you can not use them ON any product you sell. Not on any of your labels at all. You also can not include the images as part of a logo for your business either.

Royalty Free Graphics generally fall under the same guidelines. OK, to use, but not on anything for sale. Images in the public domain are your best bet. You can Google for them and find quit a few.

Now that's not to say that none of the above mentioned images can't be used, just that you will probably need to seek permsission, and possible pay a fee. HTH.

You also have to take care using clip art as part of your company logo. If you just put your logo on business cards, business stationery and website, then you're probably fine (assuming you have obtained the clip legitimately by buying a CD or downloading from a site that gives you permission).

But sometimes people then forget where they got the clip art and later decide to add their logo to their label. That can get you in trouble. If you use clip art in creating a logo, or for that matter anything you use in the business, keep a record of where and when you got the clip art. That way, if you later decide you want it on an item that you sell, you know who to contact to get permission. Many times you can permission, but you need to ask. Depending on the source, they may just give it to you, or they may charge a fee. I had everything from a $5 fee to a $1500 fee requested.

The main thing is that you get permission it in writing and you can't do that if you can't remember where you got it.:wink2:

Thanks, you'all have been a great help! I'm still a little unclear on using the graphics on my candle labels. I am selling candles and use the graphics to help sell them. I am not selling the artwork???
Like the others jsut mentioned, it doesn't matter. You can't use them on any item that is sold. To expand on what Dragon said, I know the license for Print Shop explicitly states you can not use them IN a company logo, even if said logo doesn't end up on anything commercially sold. HTH.

Thanks Beth,

I came back to this thread tonight to update my post. I was purchasing some graphics today and read their terms of use. This particular graphic source said you could NOT use the graphics "AS a logo" but could use them as 'component parts of an overall design'.:tongue2:

I guess the real message is always read the 'fine print' because it can really vary by the source.

Thanks!

Most clip art sites are very clear in stating whether or not you are permitted to use their art for commercial or personal purposes.

If you are doing to a craft show and want to make a pricing sign using some clip art for a border on that sign I think you could be safe doing that, since your sign is not for sale. However, you could not take that same border and put it on the labels of your products because you are profiting off of each unit you sell.