Replacing a wick when testing

Hi guys

This may seem like a silly question but how do you go about removing a wick and inserting a new wick if you're not happy with the original wicks performance?

I'm trying to test different wicks and fear that I am wasting a lot of wax burning all to the end of the candle even if I'm not happy with the wicks performance.

What I normally do is make up the candles all unwicked, then put a hole in wax and drop a wick in for testing if I can see that that wick is not performing right I take out the wick with a pair of

Pliers .

• Like 1

I'm only just back with testing with c3 again, but so far my testing has showed that excel is easier to wick and I also think it takes a smaller wick than c3. The cd wicks burn nice in the excel and I've not settled on a wick yet for the c3. , still waiting for my premiers to arrive.

I pour an unwicked candle, then use a bamboo skewer to poke a hole for the wick (I take the wick tab off, obviously). I use a heat gun to melt the top a bit and seal the wick, then test. If it doesn't perform, it can easily be removed with pliers. As someone else mentioned, this is not a method for power burning, due to the wick not being anchored. 
Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Brilliant! I wish I had seen this post a month ago. I am a beginning candlemaker and have spent days, weeks and $$$ in wax and fragrance oils testing wicks. Using this method, I tested over six wicks in less than an hour. Thanks!