New here & ? about wax temp

Hi, I'm Jill and new here. I paint on glass and have become interested in trying my hand at making soy container (glass) candles that I can paint on. My question is - What temperature does the wax reach when the candle is burning? I need to know because this could affect the paint. Any Info would be greatly appreciated!

Well I know soy burns cooler than paraffin but I've never measured the temp. I also think the kind of wax, thickness of the jar and size of wick used will affect how hot it gets. The only paint I used on my jars was enamel which I baked on before I poured the candle. You'll probably have to do some testing.

Actually the wax temp is not the possible problem but the jar temp from the flame in the jar. Where the wax is is going to be cooler. If you go by the new ASTM standard the jar should never get over 175 but it really does depend on your candle and how you wick it. A jar that is not wicked properly will reach temps above 175 easily.

You can not go by what we say you have to make the candles and then test test and test. Your recipe is going to differ from each of ours. So for us to say a certain temp. for the candle you make is unrealistic.

I wish I had a better answer for you but each of us does different things not many of us does the exact same as someone else.

Thanks Vicky and Scentlady. You are right, it is the jar temp I need to be concerned with. Now I think I'll continue reading some posts on the actual candle making and start ordering some supplies so the testing can begin!

Thanks again, Jill