The wholesale meeting

doglvr

Well. It was interesting doing my very first wholesale pitch. Got a lot of questions thrown at me I wasn't prepared for and I'm kind of still shaking my head. Ok, I live in a small town, but I had to tell the woman what wax melts are and how they work in a warmer. She sees my warning label on the back of the bag and says, "Are these dangerous?" I told her no, they don't even have a flame like candles (she sells candles!) but they are warm wax. "So they can burn people?" I explained how you turn the melter off and they get hard then you dispose of them. I didn't dare tell her I grab a paper towel and pour mine out while it's still liquid! So then she says, "They so big, I'm not sure how I could display them. Do you have a rack for the singles?" No........... I don't carry a supply of display racks and if you buy them YOU display them. Didn't tell her that of course. So she wants to know then if I can make them smaller. They're only an ounce, typical wax melt size in various shapes. I explained they are made in molds and no, can't make them smaller. Can I get smaller molds? Not for one account, no, and then the scent strength would be effected anyway. I said maybe the clamshells would be easier for you to display. "They're too plain, I want only the shapes." Ok.......

Halfway through I'm thinking about how my dogs are starving at home (I went straight after work) and that I'd much rather be there about now feeding them.

She said she thought it would just be a little display like earrings. She saw them on my facebook page and contacted me, so that one really had me stumped on what she expected. She had no warmer, so I'm glad I brought one to give her, but I kind of think this was all a waste of time and waste of my money.

Good experience though, I guess. I have no clue what I'll hear from her. If she took everything home, maybe she'll fall in love with wax melts. I just don't know and I don't know how I could have handled this differently because I don't think anything was going to please her except some little bitty display that wouldn't take up much room. I did make suggestions of baskets, etc. so maybe she'll think about that.

Thanks,

Jackie

Oh....... I forgot to add that she was highly disappointed that depending on the scent my melts could go from 8 - 12 - 16 hours and not thirty days like a Glade plugin. Maybe that's what she was thinking wax melts are???????

Oh....... I forgot to add that she was highly disappointed that depending on the scent my melts could go from 8 - 12 - 16 hours and not thirty days like a Glade plugin. Maybe that's what she was thinking wax melts are???????

They're not? What the? :timeout:

Sounds like you did excellent. The both of you learned something valuable. Hope you got a good rest after!

We did both learn a lot. I don't want to come off as I was totally annoyed with her. I was gracious and spent a lot of time explaining wax melts. etc. but at the same time I was indeed somewhat put off because even though she sells flowers, I would never walk into her shop and make her spend almost an hour telling me what a flower is. I think she might have done some research before I was contacted, but I'm new to this and maybe this is how it all works!

Sure, I understand. Sounds like you did well, though, regardless. Interesting how many shop keepers don't know what melts even are (high end shopkeepers). One flower shop owner had invited me to present my product a few years back & said even though she really loved my melts fragrances & how they filled her home & shop (I'd left samples first & then returned a week later) she recommended I really make them into bakery shape wicked candles & then we'd talk. There was no reasoning with her that the melt throw would not be the same with a little wicked candle. I thanked her kindly...but, said I don't think so. Wasn't going to kill myself over that. You sure learn a lot & hone your people skills, if nothing else. So, kudos to you girl!

Edited by marcuset
completing a thought...it's early yet!

Guest OldGlory

I don't know, maybe we live in a special little world of wax handlers.

You do learn to think on your feet and answer the most mundane questions. And sometimes I find that the ONE product guaranteed to make a store money they want nothing to do with. I just walk away with a smile and say thanks for your time!

With each wholesale meeting you will learn something valuable. Keep it up!

You hit it right on the head. I was so shocked she didn't know what wax melts were I could hardly believe it. I've been hooked on them for over twenty years so I assumed everyone knew about them. I will work on improving my pitch for them. Yes, if she would use a melter in her shop so people could walk in and fall in love with scents she'd have a seller there for her, but I rather doubt that will happen. It was a very good learning experience for me. One thing I learned and I can't believe I could have been so stupid........... when I had business cards made up a year ago I didn't put my phone number on them!! I hadn't wanted it on there for boxes I mail out so I just put the website, but for people I talk to personally it needs to be there. Duh!