Rosewater?

JessieG

Hi all-

I am trying to mimic a candle scent -- Caldrea's Rosewater Driftwood. The ingredients list says it contains essential oils of rosewater, chamomile and cedarwood, as well as "fragrance (parfume)".

Three questions:

1) Is there a suggested ratio of essential oils to wax? I've previously only used fragrance oils.

2) I am stumped on the rosewater! I only found one site where the have rosewater, but it's not listed as either a fragrance oil or an essential oil. Any vendors you'd recommend?

3) What does "fragrance" refer to?

I have made candles for home use for a while, but mostly with very basic scents (vanilla, lavender, etc.) that I just picked up from the craft store. So...this is all new to me! I would truly appreciate any help or suggestions from the more experienced candle makers.

Thanks!

1) You'll have to test and I would say to use either the QTip method or drops into a container of some sort with careful notes made as to what you've added. Waxes will differ.

2) I am stumped too. Rose water is a water-based product. I don't know of an instance where water and wax mix.

3) Fragrance would refer to likely FO components or a fragrance parfume might indicate an alcohol-based perfume. Marketed parfume/perfume isn't a recommendation.

With all that said, rose would be an expensive EO. However, there is a rose floral wax which would be the less expensive alternative (still isn't cheap, but a little to your regular wax might work. Mimicking driftwood probably won't be easy through EOs either.

I would recommend just using FOs. Like Scented said, using EOs can get pretty expensive.

Try finding a rose and a driftwood you like and mixing them. I'm pretty sure The Candlemaker's Store has a driftwood. For a rose scent--that could slightly mimic rosewater--I recommend AH's Rose Geranium.