wax for container and FO

just started in this hobby and our mainstay is hand carved candles; I also want to make so container candles in an 8 oz tin. what wax would you recommend? we will have the parrifin for the cut and curl - 4045 EP - will this work well for fragrance throw? any and all, please chime in.

I'm uneducated about carved candles and the waxes needed for it, but I highly admire them.

For an 8oz tin I would suggest 4794 wax, not super hard, easy to work with and if you want it can do double duty for tarts or electric candles. I have used 4627 in tins, and I did not like it as well as the 4794 for that purpose.

The 4794 will need a small repour, but is easy to use.

1 oz of FO per pound, a zinc or cotton wick and you are good to go.

Make sure when doing tins to get the seamless tins, there are a few suppliers selling tins with seams for use with candle making - I really don't understand that.

Personally, I would try one with your 4045EP wax. According to A supplier it is ideal for Tapers, Pillars, cut n carve, votives, and tea lights having a 145F melt point. I'm not sure how much fragrance it will hold though, or what wick to recommend.

Good luck :)

Edited by Old Crab

The 4045EP is a straight paraffin wax that is good for rustic pillars and (as you do) carving. This wax would not be good for containers as it would need to be burned too hot for the container, plus it would completely pull away from the sides leaving gaps inside the container. IMO it also would not give a good throw without additives, so I would suggest going with a container wax that is already blended by the manufacturer. After you get a feel for what you like through testing, you can start adding additives for additional effects.

HTH and good luck.

I agree with using container wax, just a question as to whether you want to go soy or paraffin or a blend of each. Some waxes to consider would be 464, 444, or 415 on the soy side and 4630 on the paraffin side. There are many more choices, of course.