Shipping soy candles in the winter?

Do you worry about your soy candles showing up majorly frosted and cracked in the cold winter months? Anything you do to help prevent this? It's about 10 degrees here now and I'm shipping a few to my aunt for Christmas. Just wondering if there are any precautions I can take while packaging?

Its a concern for me as well but I'm not sure there is much to do.

I bring candles into work to get opinions on CT and fragrance appeal. Many times the short drive to work is enough to cause major "wet spots" in near perfect containers. Some will work themselves out warming back up to room temp but most stay put. I've fixed some with heat, but just to see if I could.

I don't use color and haven't seen any frosting issues. No cracks yet either. All have been jar candles so far though.

Well, mine left today from MN to OR so we shall see! At least they are going to my aunt so she can tell me exactly what they look like when they arrive. They just looked so beautiful when I was packing them up last night....my fingers are crossed :)

Well, the candles arrived looking great! My aunt said there was no frosting on the sides and just a little bit on the top of the candle. I'm pretty happy with that considering the temperature here in MN when they shipped. :)

That is great to know, I've always wondered but most customers never let you know. I have wrapped candles in flannel rag pieces to ship to

Oregon to my friend but I'm not sure now that it really made a difference..maybe kept the glass a little more protected.

Kandlekrazy - I wrapped each individual candle (there were 10) in bubble wrap then stuffed packing peanuts around everything. The only thing that did not have bubble wrap was the tops. They did have a lid with a lid liner but they also were the only part that frosted. Not sure if bubble wrap could really help that much or if it was just a coincidence? In 10 degree weather, I know they were getting cold either way!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi EmJean -

What type of wax are your candles made of?

For soy candles, frosting (also know as, the 'bloom') should not be considered a flaw as it is a natural characteristic of soy. From my knowledge and experience with soy wax, frosting doesn't impact the scent throw or the way the candle burns. While 'the bloom' causes a candle to look dry, it is just a characteristic of this type of wax. It has nothing to do with the candle actually "drying out". Your customers can burn a candle with frosting without worry.

If you are concerned what some customers may think when they see frosting on their candles, I would suggest including a card with each order which describes frosting and how it is actually a sign that the wax in the candle is actually pure soy (which is s a major selling point for some consumers).

Additionally, to reduce the potential for frosting, try to keep your candles out of direct sunlight (and even fluorescent lights). With the extreme cold much of the country has experienced as of late (I am in Massachusetts - last week we hit 0 degrees), I am fairly sure many candles may see an uptick in frosting. No matter how you store or pack them, I have found it almost impossible to stop the soy wax from blooming.

Hope this info help!

-Andrew

Hey Andrew,

They are made out of soy (ecosoya CB135) and I seem to have better luck with the pink and brown candles with frosting (those are the ones I shipped). I have some teal colored Cucumber Melons that frost every time they cool after being lit. I know it's not affecting the burn but they just look so nice without it!:) Including a card is a great idea though. I think I will use that when I start selling...thanks for the tip!

I think I would take your 0 degrees today. Here in MN it's about -18. Too cold for the car to start which means I got to stay home from work and make candles. I guess I can't complain about that...

Emily