Cedar Closet layered pillar

geekrunner

Just unmolded this one. Not at all like I expected, but I still like it! Smells just like a cedar chest. The colors of the layers are all the same--different strengths of red, blue and yellow in each layer, but they came out looking like differerent colors. There was more mottling in the first and last layer then in the middle.

post-116-139458389735_thumb.jpg

Your pillar looks great. I'd like to try that fo as I like the smell of cedar.

Where did order the fo from? :)

It is called Cedar Closet, from Candlemaker's Store. Got a pound of it as a free gift with a jar order. Usually any order over $75 gets a free gift, I usually pick a FO.

I'm glad you like it! I didn't get the effect I wanted, and was surprised to see what I did get! When I colored the first layer, I took a skewer and dipped it into red dye, then swirled it in the wax so I could get less than a drop in it, then did the same for blue and yellow. For the second layer, I did the same thing but just dipped the skewer a little deeper in the dye. The last layer I just used one full drop of each color. What I wanted was a gradual darkening of the color from top to bottom with no seams showing, but turned out to look like three different colors altogether.

Next time I'll wait to do one on a weekend when I can pour the layers a little closer together.

Thanks for the comments! geek :cool2:

When I colored the first layer, I took a skewer and dipped it into red dye, then swirled it in the wax so I could get less than a drop in it, then did the same for blue and yellow. For the second layer, I did the same thing but just dipped the skewer a little deeper in the dye. The last layer I just used one full drop of each color. What I wanted was a gradual darkening of the color from top to bottom with no seams showing, but turned out to look like three different colors altogether.
LOL, interesting. That does explain it.

Mixing those three colors makes black (or grey in small amounts). But as countless chandlers have noticed from trying the black dyes on the market, it has to be precise or black isn't black.

The method you tried would be less precise than most so you got all different colors. If you mixed the dyes before putting them in the candle, each layer would have been a shade of the same off-grey.

If you mixed the dyes before putting them in the candle, each layer would have been a shade of the same off-grey.

Great idea! I should mix equal parts together first, then I can add one drop fo a layer, then two drops for another layer, then three for another, etc. Top you are the coolest! I don't care what anyone else says about you, you're OK ;)

geek

Great idea! I should mix equal parts together first, then I can add one drop fo a layer, then two drops for another layer, then three for another, etc. Top you are the coolest! I don't care what anyone else says about you, you're OK ;)
No I'm not. Listen to my enemies, they know what they're talking about.

You know, mixing the colors first makes sense when you have to mix and you want different shades for the layers. However, if you're mixing equal parts of red, blue and yellow, it would be easier to just use black dye if you have some on hand.