New wording on warning labels, burning directions

Dana

I have had just a few of my candles come back that the customer has not burned the initial first burn until the melt pool reaches the edge of the jar. This causes the problem of a tunnel. Either that, or they are clipping the wick to short. After I get the candle, I will light it and it burns fine. So I want to add another label (since nobody seems to read the warning label) that gives these directions but in a short, easy to understand way. Something like this: For optimal performance, burn candle for 3-3.5 hours. I don't know what else to say other than "burn until melt pool reaches the edge of the jar" (?) Anyone else have a label with a similar statement?

Guest OldGlory

Did you show the customer that they did burn correctly, and would do also for her if she followed the directions?

Many years ago I had one wholesale customer who returned a candle to me for the same reason. I burned it and it was perfect, so I took it back to her and showed her.

When I talk about burning candles with customers, I always suggest they buy the size (diameter) that best suits their burning style. Or I suggest tarts or wickless. Most customers are totally confused by that though.

Some things you just can't fix, lol.