Is it necessary to add Beeswax?

Ive noticed you guys talking about adding beeswax to insure a smooth top.

Is it necessary to add another wax to the soy? do you mix it all up together or just pour a little BW on top? Does climate matter. I live in Texas so we have hot.. and hotter :mad:

Thank you! I've been talking with DH about the wealth of info I've found here and he is actually a bit excited to do this with me.

Tiff :yay:

The beeswax is not a necessary thing to add to soy. It is used to help smooth out the tops a bit, it also helps a bit with frosting and with throw. You melt it with your soy together. Most use it somewhere between 1-5%, I personally use it right now at about 3%. So you can see it isn't a large amount, it is very small. Too much of it mixed with the soy will cause cracking. Everyone adjusts the amount to fit their own needs during testing.

That's correct. Actually it can be anywhere on the candle and it is the white stuff that forms. Beeswax doesn't eliminate it in some cases, but it helps. It really depends on the FO, some will make it do it more than others.

Hi again Tiff,

As I mentioned, I also live in S. Texas, and I know what you mean. It's also humid...and more humid, right?! After three years in Phoenix, I find that frosting and weird tops are much more prevalent here due to the humidity. The b/w provides a much nicer look to my tops, and they tend to look nicer during the burn as well. It does help a bit with frosting, but EZ tends toward frost, and the humidity only exacerbates it, so it's a tough issue.

I add the b/w at 2% during the winter, low humidity months, and 3% in the summer. Now that it's summer again, LOL, I do it at 2.5%, it's mostly a trial and error thing.

I wouldn't worry about the b/w for testing purposes...as long as you don't add more than 3%, you shouldn't have to worry about changing the wick.

Personally I don't see beeswax as being any less natural than the soy wax. They all go through processes to get to the state that they are in that makes them usable, which to some is not natural. If you are concerned about the beeswax, some people have found stearic in small amounts to work as well. You can always use just the straight soy and not worry about the frosting and the smooth tops. A lot of people that buy them really don't care. I think it is all in your personal preference.

Here's how I look at it: adding b/w creates a candle that vegans will not want to use, but that can still be called all natural. Beeswax is a natural product, and I have no problem adding it to my candles. However, it is my goal to have an additional line that will be vegan friendly. So, that's your noncommittal answer from me.

After reading this post, I'm thinking of trying beeswax, but I was wondering if the sides pull away from the jar (like when you add a little pillar wax) or if there's no difference? It seems I can only get smooth tops without the heat gun 2 months out of the year and it's really frustrating!