Palm wax pillars leaching oil.

I'm flummoxed.

For five years I have been pouring my "hippy pillars" with palm wax. Not a problem.

The last two batches I poured for some unknown reason are leeching oil....and a lot of it, to the point where they are slippery to hold and after a while this clouds on the surface and makes them look ...mouldy!

No...I am not pouring more FO than I should. I AM measuring, and yes my scales are ok.

Yes, I am measuring temperature and the FO is not being added when the wax is too cool.

I am stirring WELL.

I am using tried and tested fragrances...nothing new, nothing that could have been "changed" by the fragrance suppliers.

The very weird thing is....all the melts I have poured are perfectly OK. Not a problem at all with them.

I keep thinking it must be the wax then?

But still....this doesn't explain why the melts are ok, but the pillars are leaking.

Any ideas?

Edited by Desertrose

I have found that of all the waxes palm is the most likely to be inconsistant. This happened with the glass glow a couple years ago and is the reason CS quit selling it for good. Every now and then people would report on the forum about getting a bad batch of palm wax.

Thats why I switched to Candlewics palm waxes. They blend their own in their own factory in PA. Its always consistent and even better priced than the blended imports coming out of Asia.

Good luck. I would definitely contact your supplier and report the problems you are having.

Tracy - what palm wax are you using? Candlewic makes crystal palm and feather palm. Since they blend their own you get reliable consistency. I've used all their palm waxes and have been very satisfied. Since I switched to CW's palm waxes I have not had one incident of a bad wax batch.

I'm not sure. Hubby orders it, I just pour :) We're in Australia...not sure if what we get here is any different to what you guys get? I must say this is the first time we've had a problem.

Still weird though that it didn't affect the melts in any way. I find that very odd.

The melts are smaller so less oil to leach out of the finished product.

Did the bad wax have a crayon smell? Thats how I could tell a bad batch of palm. It always had a stale crayola smell. A good batch has a fresh clean wax smell. Another clue it the texture. If the wax looks, smells, and feels different those are good clues.

Not sure if you have the same palm as we do here.