4786 vs. 4630/4633

I pour into a thick Teflon coated jelly roll pan, and when it starts to set I take a spatuala and chop and fold, much the way you do when browning meat. It's time consuming, and messier to make than the clamshells, but everyone seems to love them. I sold twice as much when I was doing crumbles than I did when I switched to clams.

I like 4786 for containers. The 4630/33 is also good, but I do blend. The blend tends to reduce wet spots. What I found is that the pre-blended wax sometimes tends to be pretty high in additives and I've had better luck diluting the additives with non blend waxes with similar melt points. General Wax in Los Angeles sells a non-blended wax. I don't think it matters much if you use the Harmony or the J233. They both are heavily saturated with additives. 70 percent 4786 and 30 percent the 4630/33 for me works fine. If I want to push the scent to 18 percent I dilute it with about 10 percent non-additive wax. I don't recommend that. High scent contents tend to make wicking nightmares and I use that only for myself. I don't make them available to others. ECO is the only wick I found that works with the high scent content and I pre-soak the wicks in high temp micro wax.

Remember that your 4630/33 is lower melt temp so you may need to wick down a bit to get it to work with your normal 4786 build.

I also tend to build candles that are underwicked for safety reasons. Keep the glass cool, lets the candle work for abuse for those that burn more than the recommended burn time. Takes longer to get a scent throw, but when it forms a full melt pool, its awesome.

Please do not try to build an 18 percent FO candle. It is dangerous and you will have a tough time getting a steady flame. Never sell one.

Edited by EricofAZ

Thank you for the advice Eric! I do not plan on making anything more than a 10% FO candle. They are hard enough to wick!

I finally got my wax in today. It's much harder than I was expecting. Hopefully this weekend I'll get some pour time. I'm planning on pouring some candles, as well as melts with different blends of 4786, 4633, 4625, and possibly some 415. We will see how it goes! I'll post my results sometime next week.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you have too many waxes to blend. 4625 is what I use for pillars. But it has less additives than 4786 or 4633. So it might work as the low additive wax to blend. But it increases the melt point and wet spots like crazy in a container. The introduction of soy to this mix is an outlier. I say that because you have 3 paraffins and a soy which is very unusual.

Ok, so if I were to mix those four for a container.... I'd take my first shot at it by using 50 percent 4786, 25 percent 4633, 12 percent 4625 and 12 percent 415.

I would use a bold FO because soy tends to not throw FO"s well unless they are formulated for Soy and cured well.

I would then test the wicks after 12 hours to see if the burn looks kinda right. Right flame height, steady flame. Ignore throw. Pay attention to jar temperature and pool depth at 2 hours and 4 hours. If at 4 hours you have full width and less than 1/4 inch depth, fine.

Then when you have that right, make a few more and age them for a week. See if they burn right and if the throw is good.

My two cents to what you are playing with. Do not try to test the throw on your 4 wax / parrafin - soy blend in less than a week.

Best wishes. Eric

I didn't mean to confuse you, my intentions are not to mix all 4 waxes. I am using the 4625 for a tart blend. I'm mixing the 4786 with different ratios of the 4633 and 4630, and I blended 4786 with 20% 415. Just playing with what I have, and hopefully I will come up with something fantastic! Ty for the advice Eric.