Labels Labels Labels

Hello everyone! I have been silently reading this awesome forum for a couple of weeks now and have decided to come out of hiding. :yay: I must say I am a newbie, but I have been reading reading reading for a while on candle making. I just have a quick question on labels. Apart from the candle quality, which of course has to be great, I believe a HUGE factor that goes into selling a candle, especially online is the packaging. I know that I want to sell tin candles with the wrap around label. Anyone else out there sell these type of candles and do you make your own labels or do you buy them from a printing company? I have a very specific idea in mind and know what I want my label to look like. I would like it to be embossed. Will this be too expensive? Any thoughts and ideas on the wrap around labels will be greatly appreciated! :embarasse

Hello and welcome to the forum! I don't make candles but you can make your own labels via your printer. For my soap labels I use Online Labels and print them on my laser printer. Their website is www.onlinelabels.com . Another label supplier is Avery (www.avery.com). If you can afford it always go with a quality presentation. Think of it as an investment in your products quality and your confidence in what you sell. I hope this is of some help for you!

This is great info, thank you! I guess I will have to invest in a printer as I don't currently have one. I think in the long run it is cheaper to print out your own labels, though from years ago, what I remember when I did have a printer is that ink is very expensive! So sometimes I think it's really not all that cheaper. Not sure though, will have to do some more investigating with prices I guess.

This is great info, thank you! I guess I will have to invest in a printer as I don't currently have one. I think in the long run it is cheaper to print out your own labels, though from years ago, what I remember when I did have a printer is that ink is very expensive! So sometimes I think it's really not all that cheaper. Not sure though, will have to do some more investigating with prices I guess.

We all face that "caught between a rock and a hard place" decision. Personally, I would invest in a color laser printer. They are more expensive than ink jet but I feel makes a better, vibrant, durable label. A printer is also is a necessity for your business needs so it will eventually pay for itself. If you would have a company print your labels the expense will be much, much more. You would have to have a minimum number of labels printed and if you have tin candles with different scents (thus different names) you will have to have a minimum number to be printed of each type. For starting out in business this can be very expensive. As your business later grows then you can do this method for it would be more economical than a printer.

So, another decision - what type of printer? This depends on how much you wish to spend. First, try contacting a sales rep at Online Labels or Avery and ask what type of laser printer they would recommend when using their labels. Try to get them to name a few models of printers that are easy to print their labels. Then go to a business supply company such as Staples or OfficeMax and have a salesperson show you the models that the label company suggests for you. I hope this advise helps you!

Decisions decisions! lol You seem to really know what you are talking about! Thank you for all the info you have provided. Never even thought about the minimums you mentioned with having labels for different scents. That makes a lot of sense! Also thank you for the advice on the printer, I will def. take it into consideration when shopping for a printer. I love this forum! :)

We all face that "caught between a rock and a hard place" decision. Personally, I would invest in a color laser printer. They are more expensive than ink jet but I feel makes a better, vibrant, durable label. A printer is also is a necessity for your business needs so it will eventually pay for itself. If you would have a company print your labels the expense will be much, much more. You would have to have a minimum number of labels printed and if you have tin candles with different scents (thus different names) you will have to have a minimum number to be printed of each type. For starting out in business this can be very expensive. As your business later grows then you can do this method for it would be more economical than a printer.

So, another decision - what type of printer? This depends on how much you wish to spend. First, try contacting a sales rep at Online Labels or Avery and ask what type of laser printer they would recommend when using their labels. Try to get them to name a few models of printers that are easy to print their labels. Then go to a business supply company such as Staples or OfficeMax and have a salesperson show you the models that the label company suggests for you. I hope this advise helps you!

Actually this info is not accurate, but it's what I believe as well before I actually ordered printed labels a few years back. There is a minimum order quantity but you can spread the minimum number over different labels. I have 22 scents for my candle tins. The minimum order was 250 labels. Times 22 labels was 5,500 labels I thought I need to buy! Turns out I bought 20 of one labels, 50 of another, 100 of another until I met my minimum. There was a set up cost for each level over 5. Like $10 per extra label but that was one time set up fee.

As to the question of self printing. I use both method. I sell 4 and 8 oz tins. After extensive testing and hundreds of sheets, I came to realize that printing small round labels was not possible due to printer drift which happens with every printer (according to the online labels tech). The first label looks good but each one down the page was out slightly. I was able to print my 8 oz tin labels successfully as there was more room between the labels on the page and the drift was not as noticeable.

I pay about 10 cents per printed label for my smaller labels. Damn cheap actually and each one is perfect. The labels I print myself are often not perfect (but very close). I would recommend a printer overall. I usually buy 2000 to 3000 labels at a time at 10 cents (you will pay 25 cents per label buying only the 250 minimum so buy as much as you can afford).

I also print my own wrap label. Is the small round that have me the most problem!! Good luck...

Actually this info is not accurate, but it's what I believe as well before I actually ordered printed labels a few years back. There is a minimum order quantity but you can spread the minimum number over different labels. I have 22 scents for my candle tins. The minimum order was 250 labels. Times 22 labels was 5,500 labels I thought I need to buy! Turns out I bought 20 of one labels, 50 of another, 100 of another until I met my minimum. There was a set up cost for each level over 5. Like $10 per extra label but that was one time set up fee.

As to the question of self printing. I use both method. I sell 4 and 8 oz tins. After extensive testing and hundreds of sheets, I came to realize that printing small round labels was not possible due to printer drift which happens with every printer (according to the online labels tech). The first label looks good but each one down the page was out slightly. I was able to print my 8 oz tin labels successfully as there was more room between the labels on the page and the drift was not as noticeable.

I pay about 10 cents per printed label for my smaller labels. Damn cheap actually and each one is perfect. The labels I print myself are often not perfect (but very close). I would recommend a printer overall. I usually buy 2000 to 3000 labels at a time at 10 cents (you will pay 25 cents per label buying only the 250 minimum so buy as much as you can afford).

I also print my own wrap label. Is the small round that have me the most problem!! Good luck...

This is great info! Thank you so much for sharing. Good to hear that the label minimum is not per scent! Soo much to think about. I would like to sell 6 or 8 oz tins to begin, so hopefully the printer will be good enough. Once I start selling out jeje, I can look into getting them professionally done, as I do have my eyes set on embossed labeling, and those you can't do at home! :)

Ditto online labels with round! I cannot print these myself at all- tech tried to help me but told me I am better off sending them out

I used a company that was reasonable but same thing- the drift was horrible and I am upset I had to pay for it- can I ask who you use for the round ones?