Problem with my wax blend..

PixyStixGirl

I was wondering if someone could give me their opinions on this. Been trying different blends with wax and I really like how the 4794 and 3022 tarts come out. Problem is the hot throw isn't lasting long at all. Adding FO at 185, stirring for 2 mins and tried using both 1 oz- 1.5 pp and I can't get my hot throw to last longer then 4 hrs tops. Could it possibly be that my 24 watt hot plates are just not working with this blend? I just can't seem to find a blend of wax that don't burn right out in my hot plates. Frustrated!!

I know many others have had great results using 4794 and hopefully they will chime in, but I personally could not get longevity with using 4794, whether it was blended or on its own. It has great HT for about 3-4 hours and then it fizzled out on me. It didnt matter what FO I used. I ended up switching to 4625 as the votive/tart portion of my blend.

I might just give up on 4794 entirely. I've used so many different FO's. do you get longer lasting throwing with the 4625? I use a 24 watt hot plate and really don't want to change out all my warmers unless it's just hopeless to get a somewhat long lasted throw with the hot plate warmers.

I did well with 4794. It blended with 4627 did well with a couple of experienced testers. I had your experience with combo warmers. Mine were the Candlewarmers brand. I got immediate HT but no longevity. I switched to all lightbulb warmers and I now get not as instant an HT but more steady scent for much longer.

I use 50/50 of 4625 & 4630 and use both the hot plate and light bulb style of warmer. In my experience the light bulb warmer lasts longer because it doesnt seem to get as hot whereas the hot plate style will throw stronger & quicker but will urn off quicker. Also, keep in mind that the AC and ceiling fans, especially this time of year will greatly diminish the longevity of your melts. I have been noticing that quite a bit lately.

LOL..I admit I'm a bit obsessed with melting wax..which is why made me decide to start making it myself because I was spending so much with vendors but finding a blend that's compatible with these hot plate warmers is becoming just as expensive..I've tried so many waxes and nothing seems to last the 3-4 hr span in them :(

Have you tried KY parasoy? If not give it a try maybe. Its 8.95 for 5lb sample. Cure time is extremely important with this blend though just as with the 3022 you are using in your blend.. any soy blend needs cure time TBH. I'm still searching for that perfect wax blend for hot plates and don't want to add up all I've spent but its fun and my house smells fab!!

I could have written your first post. Like you, I couldn't get any combination to go more than 5 hours max and that's on any warmer, doesn't matter what kind except for a few scents. I've tried with just about every combination there is. I should quit trying to make a good tart to eventually sell and just sell all the unused wax I have left in my basement! I tried ky parasoy also and it was better than most of what I had blended on my own, but a 2 week or more cure time isn't practical if you want to sell tarts. When you don't know what people will order it's impossible to have it all on hand, ready-made. As a tart purchaser I wouldn't be happy if an order came with a note telling me to melt until another week.

I am beginning to think it's not the wax or warmer at all, but the fragrance oil. I've ordered tarts from other people that I KNOW are 4794 and I KNOW are a certain blend and theirs go 12 hours or a little more on my hot plate warmers, so it is possible to do this. I have several fragrance oils that are great in just about any combo I've used and go 12 hours or more on the hot plate warmer. I'm beginning to think the key to this is use only those oils that really prove to do this (which means testing more scents for me.) I'm using oils from all reputable suppliers like Peak, CS, etc. I read in a past post where someone said if they don't get a strong hot throw immediately from an oil, out it goes and I kind of think that's the right attitude. When I do order some lighter scents from other vendors that I've had trouble with, I realize they do to because they are also weaker and don't go as long.

Presently, my best combinations are 4794/415 at 60/40 and 6006/415 at 60/40. The 6006 is proving to be stronger but is soft so it needs a hardener. I am going to try adding some 4794 or 4725 at perhaps 20 percent and cut down the other measurements to fit and see what happens. This combo right now would smear all over bags and probably not come out of molds good. Adding in a harder wax might ruin it, too. I have warmers all over and tarts going all of the time, so it's contributed I'm sure to candle nose. I now am testing my tarts in an upstairs bedroom with the A/C off and door shut. I let it go two hours, walk in there, let it go another two, check again, then keep going until the scent is gone to test for longevity. I work so this means starting before bedtime on some and letting it go all night and see if I can walk in there ten or twelve hours later and smell anything. Using this testing method is proving better than say in my living room with the a/c on. With each of these two combos I'm trying, I'm curing for three days tops. I figure with the way people want things immediately after ordering (me included) that is shipping time and the longer the better, but at least I'll know at three days I've got a good tart.

I'm waiting for my Clarus 3022 sample still - called yesterday to remind them I'm still waiting and they had forgotten to send it. I want to give that a try as well by adding a harder wax because I hear it's soft, too. I've also heard good things about it, so as usual I'm thinking "Yep, this will be the one!" LOL.... How many times have I thought that before???

Most people I know have and prefer the hot plate warmer combo so I'm trying to work with that to succeed. Again, I'm finding (at least for me) that I think it's going to totally depend on the FO. I admire anyone who can put any FO in their wax and get a good long throw. I'm apparently not going to be one of them. But for now, I'm considering these good combinations because with the FO's that are working they are going 12-16 hours.

Good luck. If you come up with anything that works, let us know. I'm fully acceptable to being enabled. LOL

Jackie

I gave up on receiving my 3022 sample. I have no plans to sell wax I was just hoping to make my own and melt in opposed to the nearly $150 I was spending a week with vendors but at this rate it's becoming more expensive lol. You don't know how much I appreciate all the advice because I was beginning to think it was something I was doing wrong and then the discouragement sets in.

Guest OldGlory

I have not tried this because my sense of smell is shot, but you might want to...

If you are just using them at your home, try some 464 soy wax, or 444. They both have to burn hotter in a candle (required for soy waxes, thus the hotter burning wicks) and my 464 kicks butt in FO throw according to my testers and wholesale clients. It will frost though. And soy does need to cure.

Don't give up! This is a craft that requires a ton of testing - just the nature of the different waxes and fragrances. We all have to do it.