No CT with Barnwood fo on my tarts

I made some tarts yesterday AM using 4630 and 4325 and FO Barnwood which wasquite astong fragrance from the bottle but I do not have much if any CT from the tarts, Heated to 185 added color and fo , stirred for 2 min and poured at 150. What is wrong or do they need more time to cure? Other fo's are great right away like Orange Blossom both ht and ct. Suggestions would be appreciated....

Thanks

Karen

Not all FOs are going to work with all waxes. Since you know that your blend works well with other FOs and your procedure sounds fine, then I would vote for it's the FOs fault. I've never found that curing makes a big difference in the final throw of a candle or tart, so don't expect miracles from that.

I started one of the barnwood in my warmer to see if it really does have any scent but I think I'll have to chalk this one up to a learning experience and try it in another blend 4627 and 415 for a candle, maybe that will work

Thanks

Guest OldGlory

Hi Karinz - I only use Barnwood from Aztec as a blender, but it comes thru nicely in the blend. Maybe a cure time will help. I pour the blend in both 6006 and 464.

Thank you for posting the source for "Barnwood".

I certainly do agree that not FO's are created equal and will not work in all types and blends of wax, but I've been making container candles with IGI-4630A for years and I will report that I always cure them for at least a week before putting them out for sale. I'm convinced it does make a difference.

Since 4630 already has Vybar in it's composition; I do not add any additional. Vybar will allow the wax to absorb more FO, but it will also reduce the strength of the throw if overused. 4630 can hold up to 10% FO as is. That should give you a pretty good throw if the FO is of good strength,well "designed" and properly cured.

You might also try addimg your FO at a lower temperature (150F-160F). I've been doing this recently with good results. I'm planning on trying to take it down to 140F in some up-coming testing. I find that I'm not losing the more volatile keynotes when adding FO at the lower temperatures. This concept is a little controversial at this time, but I'm strongly leaning towards the lower temperature and a bit less stirring of the wax, during the process.

JMO/HTH

Dave @ Charlotte Hall Country Candles

Guest OldGlory

Think "green" scents, wild and strong greens, natural types to blend with Barnwood. I market one such blend to my big wholesale account and it's their bestseller.

I always do Qtip testing until I find the blend I want, then I test the actual oils together, then I put them in wax to try it. And keep good notes - no, keep perfect notes. So if I start with one Qtip dipped into 3 different scents, put them in a small bottle together and let them sit for a several days. Next, determine what the blend needs - more top note? more base? Add one Qtip in that scent and let it sit for a few days. You know when you have it right.

So here's a question I have and really need suggestions.

I made tarts out of 4630 and 4625, Several of the fo' work well and I burn ib the warmer with great results. The ones that do not turn out well and have np ct OR ht are junk. So what can I do with this wax. t has some color and fo in it. Am I able to reheat to hightemp and add another fo?

Thanks

Thank you for posting the source for "Barnwood".

I certainly do agree that not FO's are created equal and will not work in all types and blends of wax, but I've been making container candles with IGI-4630A for years and I will report that I always cure them for at least a week before putting them out for sale. I'm convinced it does make a difference.

Since 4630 already has Vybar in it's composition; I do not add any additional. Vybar will allow the wax to absorb more FO, but it will also reduce the strength of the throw if overused. 4630 can hold up to 10% FO as is. That should give you a pretty good throw if the FO is of good strength,well "designed" and properly cured.

You might also try addimg your FO at a lower temperature (150F-160F). I've been doing this recently with good results. I'm planning on trying to take it down to 140F in some up-coming testing. I find that I'm not losing the more volatile keynotes when adding FO at the lower temperatures. This concept is a little controversial at this time, but I'm strongly leaning towards the lower temperature and a bit less stirring of the wax, during the process.

JMO/HTH

Dave @ Charlotte Hall Country Candles

I always add the fragrance oil (and color) to the wax at 165F to 175F. When adding FO at higher temps, particularly any temperature above 175F, it simply burns off some of the fragrance, therefore diminishing the scent throw. On the other hand, if the wax is too cool, below 160F when the fragrance oil is added, the wax is not hot enough to allow the fragrance oil to bind with the wax.

After adding my FO using a wire whisk, the wax is then stirred for approximately two minutes. I am not sure I fully understand the concept of a bit less stirring once fragrance oils are added other than it creates air bubbles that contribute to unwanted wet spots.

The temperature that fragrance oil should be added to achieve the best scent throw is a controversial subject and the discussion goes on and on and on ...