just had a thought, now I'm curious...

I'm testing a pillar (for the 7th time now...), and I thought of something that I wouldn't even know how to search for the answer.

OK, I have a few 3" molds, round square, spiral octagon... The last one is what I'm working on now. Was hoping to give one to a very dear friend of mine a few months ago, now I'm shooting for the end of this year...

Anyways, my question... once I find the right wick for this mold/wax/fo combo, should the other shapes work with the same wick. Only curious because I'm kinda tired of watching this shape burn for now... (Don't get me wrong, still planning on testing them, just wondering)

Ahh, this doesn't make as much sense as it made in my head...

Mitch

You can start with the same wick, but every mold, shape, scent and color will vary a bit.

Round candles are easier to wick, because they're round. Stars are a pain. Squares will leave the corners un melted.

Add to this that not everyone is on the same page as to what a perfect burn is.

Some folks don't want any shell at all left. Some like a thin shell that you have to hug, because they like the glow they get when the flame is a bit below the shell.

I leave a little extra shell, so that I don't get blow outs. You have to hug them a bit, though. Or you wind up with about a 1/8 inch shell almost all the way down.

Leaving a small shell never damaged aunt Edna's antique end table. A blowout could.

That's just my take on it, though. Ask 10 chandlers about it and you'll get 12 opinions. :)

I got side tracked there. The point I was trying to make, was that *you* have to make a decision about what's acceptable. Especially with any shape that's not round.

If you get a perfect inch per hour melt pool, but at 3 hrs and 3 minutes, the side blows out, dumps wax on the table and turns your candle into a Roman candle, you might want to wick down, even though you then only get a 7/8 per hour melt rate. If you don't midn a little drippage and it's not actually blowing out, you may not want to wick down.

I have a few molds that I won't use, because I can't get them to burn just the way I want them to. That's just me being too picky, though. :rolleyes2

That's just me being too picky, though. :rolleyes2

That's me too! I thought I had a reasonably good 3 inch candle before I joined this board. Then I realised there is more to it, to the extent that I have 40 people waiting for samples, but I refuse to send a single one out before I have the wicking absolutely perfect.

I am with you though, Mitch - I am really tired of watching this candle burn, to the extent that I am salivating over jars, which from what I understand is even a bigger pain...;)

At least now you know your not alone...

Katinka