quick way to change wicks in a container candle

I've been looking at ways to easily swap wicks in a container candle. I was browsing a homeware shop today and thought I'd try an apple corer. I tested it just now (photo http://flic.kr/p/ebN7VP ) - it went in easily (I'm a wimp can't even open water bottles) and the sustainer automatically came out with it. So happy. Now I can remove the wick with pliers, chop up the wax I removed, glue a new wick/sustainer in and put the pieces of wax I removed back in the hole and melt with a blowtorch/heat gun. This way I don't have to create a new candle. Thought I'd post this here in case it was useful to anyone.

I don't sell, so this is just for personal use. Of course, I should ideally test a wick properly and burn the whole of the candle.

Edited by itunu

When I'm testing wicks I just cut the tab off the wick. If your wick does not work you can warm your candle, and pull your wick out. Then I use a wick pin or a skewer to make a new hole, insert wick (without tab) and test. HTH

The sustainer is glued to the bottom of the inside of the container (the tin doesn't have anything stuck underneath it). I have in the past tried pulling out the wick with pliers but because it is attached to the sustainer I couldn't get it out even when it's warmed. If I inserted a new wick (no sustainer) then when the candle melts near the bottom I would get a floating wick??

Edited by itunu

I poke a hole with a wood skewer and stick the untabbed wick in too. Once it looks like the wick is dialed in for the particular wax or FO, then I re-make it to make sure it duplicates and secure the wick tab.

I do get some that slide a little with the hole poking method but if I push them over with the skewer before the wax begins to cool down after the burn, they will go to the center.