Smoking 4630 Question

Greetings,

I am testing 4630 in a 12 oz status with a 60 zinc wick- 1 oz Birds of Paradise from Peaks. Throw is wonderful hot and cold and throws even when its not lit. When testing the second half of the jar on a 4 hour burn, I occasionally saw a ring of smoke. The jar was comfortable to the touch. Should I cut back on ths FO amount to resolve this? The 51 z was too small for this container. The flame wasnt that high with the 60z. So II am not sure. My mind says cut back on the FO since it is a strong thrower. Any suggestions?

Edited by Grani L

4630 being paraffin will smoke if the flame gets too large or unstable. In container candles at about half way down, the draft of air entering the container can make the flame "dance", this will cause soot to be emitted. Soy does this too but the soot is white. I would not change the FO amount and it seems that you have your wick dialed in. My solutions was to add some soy wax to the 4630 to slow the burn and reduce flame height. I also use HTP wicks. After a 4 hour burn, my wicks should need to be trimmed.

Thanks. I will test this again soon bringing your suggestiona into play. At least I know that scent and wick works for that jar. Do you add any vybar to your lighter scents? I am testing NG monkey farts in the jar. One blend is 4630/464- 80/20 with a HTP 83 in that Jar. The wick burned lopsided, but next time I will give it a few twists. But it burned down, and the throw wasnt too good. Some time ago I tested this scent using straight 464 and 1tsp of crisco. It cured about a week. The scent was light at first. But as it burned down, the throw was out of this world. Now I have some vybar 260. If I added a few beads, would it affect the wicking using 4630 straight?