CPOP...shortens cure time?

michelleB

Hello,

After trying out the new Salt Bar recipe using the CPOP method (my very first go-round with CPOP), it made me wonder...does the "OP" at the end of the "CP" make the bars ready to use immediately, like with the HP method? Seems to me it would, but I thought I'd better ask to make sure it was fully saponified. My skin may not be the in the best condition, but I'd sorta like to hang onto it for a while longer, LOL. I'm familiar with CP'ing, as that's how I do all of my other batches, but adding this new step at the end is pretty easy. So if it speeds things along, I may just start doing it this way all of the time.

You *can* use them right away, but they will still be kind of harsh/drying. You still need to cure with CPOP. The OP forces the gel and speeds up the process, but a cure is necessary. I find that CPOP does shorten cure time to 2 weeks, but a month doesn't hurt ;)

This may be a little off topic, but what I like about CPOP is that gel phase is consistent through the whole batch and all of the soap is of the same color and texture. I have had trouble in the past with the soap in the corners of my molds being a little different in color or texture than the bulk of the soap. I've tried pre-warming the molds, and always insulate the soap well but still had the problem occasionally.

When I add the OP step I never have the problem so it's definately worth the extra step even though it doesn't change the cure time. I won't go back to just insulating the soap molds on a countertop.

I'm with you, michelleB! :yay:

Well MYYYYY goodness, I'm definitely gonna be adding the OP step in from now on! I've had an occasional problem with incomplete gels before (not too bad, but once or twice), and now that I look at how PURTY this batch came out, and how easy it was to pop it in the oven for a bit....I'd be just plain crazy not to do this with all of my batches from here on out.

Thanks everyone for answering my question! The general conscensus (sp) seems to be that the OP step simply effects the gel stage, and has no real effect on the curing time. Very, very handy to know! I was a tad bumfuzzled until now, thinking that perhaps they were doing some extra "cooking" while in the oven, like with HP. Ok, I'll let these puppies sit for their usual 4 weeks or so...although I almost *always* sneak one in the shower way before then, lol.