Whipped Wax

I made a candle in a can and whipped some of the wax to put on top. I used the same container wax (6006) that I had used for the candle. I lit it after about a week of curing and the whipped wax ran down the sides of the can. I had it higher than the can so I didn't know if that is why or if I used the wrong wax or if this was to be expected since it was higher than the can.

Do any of you whip wax and make this sort of thing on top of candles and if so, what kind do you use and what do you think I may have done wrong?

Thanks! Any and all feedback will be appreciated. I'm new at this so there's no telling what I did wrong!

Belinda

Have only used 1343 or 4786 for whipped wax; it is important that the wax be level or only a very, very little bit above the rim of the container. especially around the edge (you can pile it up a bit in the center.)

Also, was your wick too big, causing the wax to melt so fast that it could not be burned away quickkly enough?

I had it piled up pretty high but I didn't think that would be a problem since I've seen cupcake candles with the frosting higher than what I had mine. The wick might be to big. I don't really know what size wick I'm supposed to use but the one I used is a 6"-51-32-18 zinc wick. I have no idea what all of that means. I got them from Texas Candle Supply and the man told me this was a standard wick for 8 0z container candles. The tin can I poured is a ten ounce can so I didn't think it would be to big. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Belinda