Gel Candles + Wicks

Candler

Hi there,

I was hoping someone here could be able to help me. I've recently started making gel candles and the zinc core wicks I have mushroom at the top, aren't self trimming and when the candle is blown out the post sooting is disgusting.

I don't feel comfortable selling these candles to my customers. I was hoping someone could suggest what type of wicks I use. I was looking at getting a pack of all different types of wicks, that are compatible with gel, to try out and see which one I liked and fit my requirements. Which online gel candle supplies store offers this?

Being from New Zealand Gel candles don't exactly exist here. Everyone seems to be doing ONLY soy candles. Therefore, going to a local candle supply store for some gel supplies (+advise) isn't going to happen, forced to online shop forever. Which is fine, but finding the answers to my questions are a little bit more challenging.

I make gel candles in mainly wine, martini, beer and jar glasses.

Thanks in advance!

I had the same problems with the Zinc wicks. I've not made gel candles in a while just now getting back into them. I used LX wicks for my champagne & wine glasses didn't have the mushrooming like the zinc's. Hope this helps.

• 8 months later...