Wick Stickems

you can use clear silicone glue. You can get it at the hardware store. It comes in either a tube for a glue gun or you can get a small household size in for about $3. You can pour about 15 minutes after you set the tabs. It won't come off once it's totally set. HTH

Silicone glue is your best choice, however, do be sure to get the smaller version in a more user-friendly tube. It is the exact same stuff used to do a clear caulking around windows, and showers, etc.

It is awkward. I have a whole story on that one, yikes! :tiptoe:

Once the wick is stuck, it is really stuck, not to worry about it coming loose, you'll be lucky if you can remove it at all.

I let it set about an hour, though. I too am afraid that it will leak into the candle if not dried. Use sparingly, you'll get the hang of it.

Best Wishes,

Fern-Marie

Try the silicone before you try anything like glue dots (ask me how I know they DO NOT work!). Silicone does need time to set up and cure, so I try to have a case of jars pre-wicked and just store them with the lids on to keep out dust. Then when an order comes in, I don't have to wait for the silicone to cure before pouring ... just pull out a jar and I'm ready to go. HTH.

The silicone sounds great! But I probably should have mentioned that I want to be able to take the wick tabs out of the container because it's reuseable.

I guess I'll have to use a glue gun... does anyone know which glue will keep the tabs in place until you decide to remove them? :undecided

Thanks again!

I haven't tried a glue gun or hot glue for that matter but it sounds like a real hassle. I'm having trouble with glue dots releasing during a pour - not always but sometimes and it's so frustrating :mad: I thought about trying a glue pot and dipping the wick tab into the glue but not sure if that's any less hassle than a glue gun. Sounds like someone could make some money if they could come up with a solution. Hmmmm

I just got diamond cubes and a pot from Micheals. Haven't testing completely but so far they are doing good. Someone, somewhere (!!) recommended them. I personally don't find them any harder to use than the stickum. I guess because I'm so worried the stickems will move that I stand there pressing them down for a while!! :P

The diamond cubes sound great! If I use this glue will someone be able to get the tabs off the bottom of the container after the candle burns down? I like the idea of using silicone, but it's permanent.

The stickems are also great - they've only moved on me once. I use them all the time but for this project I'm using a container than can be used again and the white stickems, even though they're on the bottom, don't look good when you lift up the pretty container. They stick out like a sore thumb. :rolleyes2

Hmm .. I'm curious to know what kind of a project you are doing. I usually put my warning labels on the bottom of my jars so even if I used wick stickems, they wouldn't show anyway.

I use household silicone and with enough scraping after the candle is burned down, you can manage to get most if it removed. I don't reuse containers, though, once they have been burned all the way down other than for testing purposes. I'm always afraid the glass may crack on the second go-round.

Edited to say: DUH! I think I understand now what you are doing ... using a pretty container that the recipient can re-use for a different purpose after burning down the candle?

I've used glue dots from Candles & Supplies for years and have never had a problem with them moving around. No matter how hot I pour (the hottest probably being about 160/165), they always stay put and they're fairly easy to get off after. If you pull the wick tab with a pliers, the glue dot usually comes up with the tab.

Budgie -- Yeah :yay: thanks for the info on the glue dots... I'm going to take a look. If they are clear, then I can use them, but if they are white, then I'm back to where I started.

Bev -- yes, the pretty containers will be be used again by the person who purchased them. And, since they will be double wicked, the warning label will only cover part of the white stickems because I don't want to put a HUGE warning label on the bottom.

Budgie -- Yeah :yay: thanks for the info on the glue dots... I'm going to take a look. If they are clear, then I can use them, but if they are white, then I'm back to where I started.

Bev -- yes, the pretty containers will be be used again by the person who purchased them. And, since they will be double wicked, the warning label will only cover part of the white stickems because I don't want to put a HUGE warning label on the bottom.

Gotcha! Sometimes I'm a little slooow!!! :confused: