Is All Libbey Glass Created Equal????

After several years of messing around with different styles, shapes and sizes of jars I keep coming back to the Libbey jars I get from Hobby Lobby. The only problem is they are too expensive to use for anything other than in my own store and for family and friends. I do buy them when they are 50% off and use my tax exempt card but they still end up costing $3.00 per jar.

In an attempt to lower my cost I decided to order a case from the jar store that were suppose to be exactly the same but were over $1.00 cheaper per jar including the shipping. Well, I got them today and they were absolutely disgusting. The glass was a weird, almost grey in color, and were noticabely thinner. They also all had a seam running up one side and the plastic fitaments in the lid were all brittle which made the lids loose. To top it all off they weren't even exactly the same shape...the new ones were taller and not as wide.

Is this common? I was under the impression that a Libbey jar was a Libbey jar and didn't even give it a thought that I would have to worry about this. Any thoughts or suggstions????:undecided

It sounds to me like you got counterfeit jars that aren't Libbey. Libbey jars don't have a seam. Or maybe they sent you the wrong jars by mistake? Do they carry that same style jar by more than one maker? Anchor Hocking has some knock offs of Libbey jars and they do have a seam, and some are a slightly different shape like the AH Studio jar vs. the Libbey Vibe jar: The AH Studio is a bit taller and thinner than the Libbey Vibe. You could call Libbey and asked them about it and send them one of your jars to look at. Also call and see if the jar store will admit they made a mistake by sending you the wrong jars.

Edited by HorsescentS

Thank you Horsescents for all the info. After reading your response I'd bet my bottom dollar that that's what happened. When I called them this afternoon they said that these were made overseas so that could account for the discrepancy but that was all they could think of. They were very nice about it but I'm still sooo disappointed. They said I could return them but by the time I pay for shipping it just wouldn't be worth it...oh we'll. I guess I will try to order just one at a time from a couple of other sources and see what I get. :)

Edited by glowworm

It sounds to me like you got counterfeit jars that aren't Libbey. Libbey jars don't have a seam. Or maybe they sent you the wrong jars by mistake? Do they carry that same style jar by more than one maker? Anchor Hocking has some knock offs of Libbey jars and they do have a seam, and some are a slightly different shape like the AH Studio jar vs. the Libbey Vibe jar: The AH Studio is a bit taller and thinner than the Libbey Vibe. You could call Libbey and asked them about it and send them one of your jars to look at. Also call and see if the jar store will admit they made a mistake by sending you the wrong jars.

Good advice from a lady who knows her jars!

Dave

Thank you Horsescents for all the info. After reading your response I'd bet my bottom dollar that that's what happened. When I called them this afternoon they said that these were made overseas so that could account for the discrepancy but that was all they could think of. They were very nice about it but I'm still sooo disappointed. They said I could return them but by the time I pay for shipping it just wouldn't be worth it...oh we'll. I guess I will try to order just one at a time from a couple of other sources and see what I get. :)

I think you're right about the best way to handle it. You might also give Libbey a heads up about what's going on because it sounds like their product may be being misrepresented, since the Jar Store may be using the Libbey name to sell knock-offs.

If you want to pursue it, you can send Libbey one of those jars, and if Libbey says that's not their jar, then you can call the Jar Store, demand to speak to a manager, and tell them that if they don't refund your money, your next call will be to the Attorney General's office to report them for fraud, and I have no doubt you'll get a refund...been there, done that! just not with the Jar Store...yet. lol

Edited by HorsescentS

Thanks, Dave! :highfive:

It's easy to admire someone with so much talent!

By the way; That second post of your's was dead on the money too!

Gee! I wish I was as smart as you! NO FOOLIN'

Just stating the facts, M'am; Just the facts!!!

Dave, Your admiring colleaque !

It's easy to admire someone with so much talent!

By the way; That second post of your's was dead on the money too!

Gee! I wish I was as smart as you! NO FOOLIN'

Just stating the facts, M'am; Just the facts!!!

Dave, Your admiring colleaque !

Aww shucks, Dave, you're much too kind! :embarasse I'm YOUR admirer :bow: Because you are the *super banana* We really appreciate your input here, I hope you never stop! :rockon:

Aww shucks, Dave, you're much too kind! :embarasse I'm YOUR admirer :bow: Because you are the *super banana* We really appreciate your input here, I hope you never stop! :rockon:

I'm VERY certain that your opinion of my "input" is NOT shared by quite a few members on the board.

I just can't seem to stop typing, though.

Does anyone know if it is possible to have "the runs" in your fingers?

OH GOD!!!! Another hi-jacked thread!

You MADE me do it!

I'm VERY certain that your opinion of my "input" is NOT shared by quite a few members on the board.

I just can't seem to stop typing, though.

Does anyone know if it is possible to have "the runs" in your fingers?

OH GOD!!!! Another hi-jacked thread!

You MADE me do it!

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: Oh, well! Let's Party! :party::cakegirl::soap baby dance:*drunken posting*

If you want to pursue it, you can send Libbey one of those jars, and if Libbey says that's not their jar, then you can call the Jar Store, demand to speak to a manager, and tell them that if they don't refund your money, your next call will be to the Attorney General's office to report them for fraud, and I have no doubt you'll get a refund...been there, done that! just not with the Jar Store...yet. lol

Oh my goodness, you are too funny! I know now what I received was not right but I have a really hard time playing hard ball with companies/people when they are nice when confronted with complaints. I guess if I were out a ton of money I would push harder but i'm such a wimp. Now my husband on the other hand will spend an hour on the phone to get a $1.00 charge taken off a bill if he feels he was overcharged. He says it's the principle not the amount that matters...I know he's right but my spine is broken (hahaha). So most of the time he has to do my dirty work...I affectionately call him my pooper-scooper-upper. LOL

Oh my goodness, you are too funny! I know now what I received was not right but I have a really hard time playing hard ball with companies/people when they are nice when confronted with complaints. I guess if I were out a ton of money I would push harder but i'm such a wimp. Now my husband on the other hand will spend an hour on the phone to get a $1.00 charge taken off a bill if he feels he was overcharged. He says it's the principle not the amount that matters...I know he's right but my spine is broken (hahaha). So most of the time he has to do my dirty work...I affectionately call him my pooper-scooper-upper. LOL

LOL That's hilarious! Well, maybe your hubby can get your money back for you.

Good luck dealing with the Jar Store.

I will never ever buy from them again.

We use to use honey pot jars - nice & different.

When I got my 2 pallets of jars over 50% were broken.

The jar store did make that good.

Then we find out that the lids they sent were a touch snug, not a big deal until you tried to get it off a full container.

I was sued 3 times that year because people were slicing themselves up.

The lid would cause the jar to break, not every time but enough to get me in trouble.

The jar store people didn't care, said I did something wrong.

Be careful, most of the jars from them are from china - which is not normally bad but I believe they have quality control issues.