How to label for a blind person?

babudust

My cousins are both blind (married) and live alone as well. I think they adjust very well for the most part of the seeing world. Mine get on facebook which amazes me lol Other then smelling and braille, not really sure how else you could really help a blind person. I was thinking along the lines of a seeing person when buying them at a store or festival/fair etc. I will send my cousin a message on facebook and let you know what she says :)

Guest OldGlory

Gosh, I think there is a braille typewriter type of machine out there. You could contact a school for the blind and find out. If nothing else, perhaps a small label in the back with one word would suffice.

I think it's great that you would be thoughtful enough to consider making a label for the blind, even if it turns out to be fruitless. I teach all of my employees a simple sign, thank-you, for our deaf customers. They can see everything else, or you can write things down for them, but that one gesture really makes them light up.

There are some blind people who have learned how to read embossed lettering, you know, the kind that is slightly raised from the main surface. You could ask if she is able to do that, herself, and see about using embossed labels for her if nothing else. Also there are braille templates available online that you could easily use with a grid pattern for her. All you would need is cardstock and a decent ink pen to make the dots. Remember that they will read the raised side, though, so you will be doing the patterns backwards. I also believe microsoft has a braille template for Word or some such. A quick google search will bring all of those up for you.

• 2 weeks later...