FO queston.....

Guest OldGlory

I have never used 10% in a wicked candle. I use 5-7% in candles. Sometimes I'll test at a higher rate just to see what happens to the wick, but the % I use gives a very solid cold and hot throw. I have heard others say (on message boards) that adding more fragrance does not always translate to a stronger throw.

If you add more FO than the wax can hold, the FO seeps out of the wax and is a fire hazard as it puddles up on top of the candle and is very flammable. Also, adding too much FO can tie up the hot throw and/or distort the fragrance, and also affect the way the candle burns. Most waxes can hold at least 6%, so you can start with 6% of an FO that's known to be a strong thrower and then increase by 1% at a time if you need to. For 6006 parasoy I had to use 9% to get a good HT, but with 4627 paraffin it only takes 6% and when I used more it tied up the scent and made the wax even harder to wick.

In 6006 I have used 4% to 10% depending on the fragrance. There have been a few, that even at 10% didn't give me any hot throw. Any fragrance that I have tried that is tea scented hasn't worked for me at any %.

However, I have done 5 to 6% with some of the bright and clean scents and they make my eyes water and head hurt, so I have to cut back to 3 or 4%. Most that I have used in 6006 are in the 9 to 6 % range.