Good grief!!

FaithfulScenter

Guest OldGlory

I don't have time to do shows any more, but there was always at least one person wanting to know how I made whatever I was selling. I finally posted a sign (being a wisebutt) that said I would gladly offer private lessons to learn to make what I was selling. It would require being available up to 4 hours a week for 8 weeks at my convenience, the first several weeks would be safety lessons and would not involve actually making a product, it would require that the student supply the following list of equipment, and it would cost $2500. When someone asked how I did it, I simply pointed to the sign and handed them a business card. Not one single person wanted the lessons. :)

That's funny, OldGlory. Someone once asked me to do a class at one of the craft fairs I was at. I should have a posted a sign like you did. Needless to say, I didn't teach their class. People think nothing of boldly asking you straight out for the hard work you've done. Ballsy.

I'm not even sure how I would respond to that, probably just hit delete.... they're either clueless or ballsy, can't decide which, maybe both lol

I've noticed an increase in the requests I get to teach a class, or "hey can you sell me supplies", and also just a general increase in the number of newbie soap makers popping up who want to make a quick buck... newbie like "hey here's my very first batch that I made yesterday, that'll be $3 a bar, it'll cure your acne and smooth your wrinkles!" or give you a flesh eating skin rash... y'know, it's a toss up. Frustrating for sure.

Just a little background on the girl inquiring, neither her or her husband work, he is mentally disabled, and they live off the state. Not that I am condemning them for it, but had it been someone that I know was truly interested and could afford such a venture, I would have no problem with them asking questions. But I know she isn't capable of investing, nor would she be willing to do the strenuous testing that is involved. I politely informed her that it was not easy money and told her if she was truly interested to google candle making supplies and find someone that has a starter kit.