Wal Mart Clamshells

KandiDecora

I found myself in my local Wally World this holiday season and I noticed they had mounds of wax clam shells for $1.98. I am still new to candle/tart making roughly 3 months. I am not sure how long they have carried them. I guess I never paid attention until I started making them. My question is as sellers how do you combat that price? How do you encourage that your product is better thus costs more? What are your key notes to the average Joe at a craft show/online store? Lastly how if at all has this affected your business.

We love Walmart and Target and all of the other Big Box stores that sell scented products! Truly. I cannot tell you how many customers have come into our store over the years and said they were very disappointed with Walmart scented products; then, when they try ours, voila !!!, we have a customer for life. They rave about how much better our products are, and, although they are slightly higher ($2.95) for clam shells, ours are more than worth the cost. As small guys, we cannot compete with the Big Guys pricing, but we make up for it in quality. So, don't worry about them. Encourage your customers to try your products. Word of mouth advertising is our best advt tool.

My clamshells are $3 each or $2.50 if you buy 2 or more. I've heard the "I've bought these before and they smell good for a little while then...nothing" argument hundreds of times. I ask my customers to give me a chance and explain my waxes (I use feather palm for my melts primarily, but also a parasoy blend) have been tested with my FOs for maximum throw. I've only had one complaint (not enough cherry throw in my chocalate covered cherry) and she refused a new pack of tarts because her other ones were so good she figured it was a fluke.

Whenever people tell me their $6 22oz candle didn't smell at all while burning, I educate them on getting what they pay for. Most consumers are clueless. A candle is a candle.