Consignment

tbowers8403

Please forgive typos, I am on iPod typing one handed and feeding baby with the other.

How do you do consignment with a shop? Here is my scenario, I am moving from PA to FL. I want to have my products available here in my town for my local buyer base. I plan to just offer wax melts and car smellies.

She said I offer her them wholesale and she takes a cut and the rest is mine. It's based on the item and price. So I am very confused and want to make it work.

My clamshells are $4/each retail

My car smellies will be $2/each

So I'd someone can help me out, I would appreciate it!

Generally when you do a consignment you are leaving your items in a retail store and when sold you get a percentage. I've seen this vary from 20% to 50%, it just depends.

Personally I hate doing consignments... If they are interested in carrying your products and have a business already, they know how wholesale works... Take your cost of your items, times it by 2 (x2) and that is your wholesale cost... Add $0.25 or so for your "other" expenses of course but as long as they will double their money... they tend to be happy with that.

Just putting myself in your shoes in moving, I think I would try to find a retail shop to carry your items or start promoting a website (if you have one) so your local's can still order from you... Obviously the retail shop would be the best choice IMO....

Good luck in your venture!

One issue that you need to address is who will pay the shipping cost from FL to PA.

Once you get to FL be sure to look at the Regional Flat Rate boxes. I'd come up with a minimum resupply (in order to make sure the box was full) and then figure out how much per item the shipping cost would be. Then add that to the cost of the item. OR have her pay the cost of shipping which is the way many wholesalers do it. Usually consignors pay their own shipping costs. Hope that makes sense...

Thanks, I think I won't go with her because she didn't really seem to know answers to my questions or what she was talking about. I asked her what percentage she takes and she said she dosn't take a percentage. I gave her my retail price, but said she needs to see it first. She also said "shipping would get expensive" and had tones like she really didn't want to deal with me. I'll look elsewhere, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...